From: "ramesh" on

Hi,

I would like to have suggestion, presently we have internet service & subdomain from ISP.

Ex: Domain: @providerdomain.com
Subdomain: @mydomain.providerdomain.com

Email Id: me(a)mydomain.providerdomain.com

This ISP charging more internet charges comparing to other ISP's, so i wanted to take different ISP services.

I have registered my own domain, so now i wanted to migrate to my domain.

I need suggestions, things to consider while migrating to my domain.

me(a)mydomain.providerdomain.com to me(a)mydomain.com

this also reduces spam traffic once we switch over to new email id's.

Thanks,
Ramesh.

From: Noel Jones on
On 6/29/2010 2:47 AM, ramesh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to have suggestion, presently we have internet service& subdomain from ISP.
>
> Ex: Domain: @providerdomain.com
> Subdomain: @mydomain.providerdomain.com
>
> Email Id: me(a)mydomain.providerdomain.com
>
> This ISP charging more internet charges comparing to other ISP's, so i wanted to take different ISP services.
>
> I have registered my own domain, so now i wanted to migrate to my domain.
>
> I need suggestions, things to consider while migrating to my domain.
>
> me(a)mydomain.providerdomain.com to me(a)mydomain.com

The postfix setup depends on how your domain is currently
configured. If your current domain is listed in
mydestination, just add the new domain to mydestination.

Otherwise, see
http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html
http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html

> this also reduces spam traffic once we switch over to new email id's.

Maybe temporarily, but don't bet on it long term.

-- Noel Jones

From: Jeroen Geilman on
On 29-6-2010 16:28, Noel Jones wrote:
> On 6/29/2010 2:47 AM, ramesh wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to have suggestion, presently we have internet service&
>> subdomain from ISP.
>>
>> Ex: Domain: @providerdomain.com
>> Subdomain: @mydomain.providerdomain.com
>>
>> Email Id: me(a)mydomain.providerdomain.com
>>
>> This ISP charging more internet charges comparing to other ISP's, so
>> i wanted to take different ISP services.
>>
>> I have registered my own domain, so now i wanted to migrate to my
>> domain.
>>
>> I need suggestions, things to consider while migrating to my domain.
>>
>> me(a)mydomain.providerdomain.com to me(a)mydomain.com
>>

> The postfix setup depends on how your domain is currently configured.
> If your current domain is listed in mydestination, just add the new
> domain to mydestination.
>
> Otherwise, see
> http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html
> http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html
> http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html
> http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
>
>> this also reduces spam traffic once we switch over to new email id's.
>
> Maybe temporarily, but don't bet on it long term.

All things being equal, no, having your own domain with a registered MX
will not decrease the spam you see; quite the opposite.
I recommend you set up proper UCE controls in postfix, optionally adding
a content filter such as amavisd-new.
Google for "postfix cheatsheet" to find a good description.

J.

From: ramesh srinivas on
Thanks Jeroen and Noel for suggestions.

I will go through  postfix url, will update you.

Thanks,
Ramesh.