From: David on
After several days working on other WiFI PCI cards I got a Belkin device at
CompUSA for $35.

Details:
Belkin Version 5000
Wireless G
Part #: F5D7000 - P10097-C (This came from sticker on the PC Board)
IC-ID: 4711A-WW4201D (This came from sticker on the PC Board)

Part # F5D7000 (This came from the Box)

My steps:
===========
1. I put in the slot
2. Power Up
3. Setup in Yast (Card was discovered automatically)
4. Entered root shell
5. Card is shown ath0
6. iwconfig shows the Yast details were picked up
7. From shell:
rcnetwork stop eth0
rcnetwork stop ath0
rcnetwork start ath0

8. Go to web browser...It worked.

From: ray on
On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 22:35:57 +0000, David wrote:

> After several days working on other WiFI PCI cards I got a Belkin device at
> CompUSA for $35.
>
> Details:
> Belkin Version 5000
> Wireless G
> Part #: F5D7000 - P10097-C (This came from sticker on the PC Board)
> IC-ID: 4711A-WW4201D (This came from sticker on the PC Board)
>
> Part # F5D7000 (This came from the Box)
>
> My steps:
> ===========
> 1. I put in the slot
> 2. Power Up
> 3. Setup in Yast (Card was discovered automatically)
> 4. Entered root shell
> 5. Card is shown ath0
> 6. iwconfig shows the Yast details were picked up
> 7. From shell:
> rcnetwork stop eth0
> rcnetwork stop ath0
> rcnetwork start ath0
>
> 8. Go to web browser...It worked.

I have one of their PCMCIA cards which I've installed using ndiswrapper -
works fine.

From: Dave on
ray wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 22:35:57 +0000, David wrote:
>
>> After several days working on other WiFI PCI cards I got a Belkin device at
>> CompUSA for $35.
>>
>> Details:
>> Belkin Version 5000
>> Wireless G
>> Part #: F5D7000 - P10097-C (This came from sticker on the PC Board)
>> IC-ID: 4711A-WW4201D (This came from sticker on the PC Board)
>>
>> Part # F5D7000 (This came from the Box)
>>
>> My steps:
>> ===========
>> 1. I put in the slot
>> 2. Power Up
>> 3. Setup in Yast (Card was discovered automatically)
>> 4. Entered root shell
>> 5. Card is shown ath0
>> 6. iwconfig shows the Yast details were picked up
>> 7. From shell:
>> rcnetwork stop eth0
>> rcnetwork stop ath0
>> rcnetwork start ath0
>>
>> 8. Go to web browser...It worked.
>
> I have one of their PCMCIA cards which I've installed using ndiswrapper -
> works fine.

This was the first time I got a wireless card up in under 10 minutes. I
am quite happy with mu SUSE 10 PC now. It works with all my external
hardware "out of the box".

I will keep working on the AirLink101 AWLH5025 MIMO pci card as I think
it may work better than the Belkin card. At least the Airlink card does
in the windows pc next to the SUSE box.

Dave
From: ray on
On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 03:25:49 +0000, Dave wrote:

> ray wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 22:35:57 +0000, David wrote:
>>
>>> After several days working on other WiFI PCI cards I got a Belkin device at
>>> CompUSA for $35.
>>>
>>> Details:
>>> Belkin Version 5000
>>> Wireless G
>>> Part #: F5D7000 - P10097-C (This came from sticker on the PC Board)
>>> IC-ID: 4711A-WW4201D (This came from sticker on the PC Board)
>>>
>>> Part # F5D7000 (This came from the Box)
>>>
>>> My steps:
>>> ===========
>>> 1. I put in the slot
>>> 2. Power Up
>>> 3. Setup in Yast (Card was discovered automatically)
>>> 4. Entered root shell
>>> 5. Card is shown ath0
>>> 6. iwconfig shows the Yast details were picked up
>>> 7. From shell:
>>> rcnetwork stop eth0
>>> rcnetwork stop ath0
>>> rcnetwork start ath0
>>>
>>> 8. Go to web browser...It worked.
>>
>> I have one of their PCMCIA cards which I've installed using ndiswrapper -
>> works fine.
>>

> This was the first time I got a wireless card up in under 10 minutes. I
> am quite happy with mu SUSE 10 PC now. It works with all my external
> hardware "out of the box".
>
> I will keep working on the AirLink101 AWLH5025 MIMO pci card as I think
> it may work better than the Belkin card. At least the Airlink card does
> in the windows pc next to the SUSE box.
>
> Dave

Some time ago I had occasion to install Linux on an MS Toshiba laptop for
a presentation at a state library conference (to talk about an install
I've done of the public access internet computers at a local library). I
don't know what specific card it had, but it was an atheros chipset. At
any rate, I booted Knoppix and the wireless card was working. I installed
from the Knoppix disk and it was working. Nothing could be easier. Seems
that the atheros has pretty decent support.

From: Dave on

"ray" <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 03:25:49 +0000, Dave wrote:
>
>> ray wrote:

>>> I have one of their PCMCIA cards which I've installed using
>>> ndiswrapper -
>>> works fine.
>>>

>> This was the first time I got a wireless card up in under 10 minutes. I
>> am quite happy with mu SUSE 10 PC now. It works with all my external
>> hardware "out of the box".
>>
>> I will keep working on the AirLink101 AWLH5025 MIMO pci card as I think
>> it may work better than the Belkin card. At least the Airlink card does
>> in the windows pc next to the SUSE box.
>>
>> Dave
>
> Some time ago I had occasion to install Linux on an MS Toshiba laptop for
> a presentation at a state library conference (to talk about an install
> I've done of the public access internet computers at a local library). I
> don't know what specific card it had, but it was an atheros chipset. At
> any rate, I booted Knoppix and the wireless card was working. I installed
> from the Knoppix disk and it was working. Nothing could be easier. Seems
> that the atheros has pretty decent support.

Yes the Atheros chipset was one that I had not heard much about but it does
work, at least from my experience.

I have another older PC I will try to get up on Linux but I wil try a
different distribution and see how the card plays with it.

Dave

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Kaffeine demux plugin?