From: Stephen J. Herschkorn on
jgnovak(a)superlink.net wrote:

>Am I missing something!!!!! I solve these puzzles in the paper the old
>fashioned way, with a pencil. Do I have to do them on Excel? I have
>no problem doing the easy and medium, (within ten to twenty minutes),
>but I still have not been able to do a hard. Is there a way to do it
>without using the computer?

I just find a spreadsheet an easier way of erasing numbers I have
eliminated. With a clean sheet, I can see what cannot or must go where
easier. I never use the computational or logical capabilities of the
computer to solve the puzzle.

--
Stephen J. Herschkorn sjherschko(a)netscape.net
Math Tutor on the Internet and in Central New Jersey and Manhattan

From: mensanator@aol.compost on

jgnovak(a)superlink.net wrote:
> Am I missing something!!!!! I solve these puzzles in the paper the old
> fashioned way, with a pencil.

Good for you.

> Do I have to do them on Excel?

No. You don't have to use a pencil either. You could use a pen.
But mistakes are easier to correct if you use a pencil.

> I have
> no problem doing the easy and medium, (within ten to twenty minutes),

Because easy and medium problems are solvable using only
simple logical implications.

> but I still have not been able to do a hard. Is there a way to do it
> without using the computer?

Sure. Learn the hard logical implications and how to
recognize them. But you ought to be able to solve the hard
puzzles with guessing and backtracking (where a pencil
comes in handy). They say guessing/backtracking is never
required, but it does work when you can't see the logical
implication.

From: Jon Haugsand on
* mensanator(a)aol.com
> They say guessing/backtracking is never
> required, but it does work when you can't see the logical
> implication.

Is there a definition of when "logical implication" ends and
"guessing/backtracking" starts? If you say "4 cannot be put in (3,5)
because then you need 5,7 or 9 in (3,8), but that leads to
..........[deleted a looooong part of the sentence] ..... so that
column 3 doesn't get a 1." I assume all guessing/backtracking can be
reduced to such sentences. On the other hand, a *real* beginner can
say "I guess a 1 in (2,2). Let us see. Oh there is a 1 in (3,3).
It won't work. So, let us go back and remove the guessing."

Some people's guessing and backtracking is other people's logical
implication, I would think. Or isn't it?

--
Jon Haugsand
Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway, mailto:jonhaug(a)ifi.uio.no
From: mensanator@aol.compost on

Jon Haugsand wrote:
> * mensanator(a)aol.com
> > They say guessing/backtracking is never
> > required, but it does work when you can't see the logical
> > implication.
>
> Is there a definition of when "logical implication" ends and
> "guessing/backtracking" starts? If you say "4 cannot be put in (3,5)
> because then you need 5,7 or 9 in (3,8), but that leads to
> .........[deleted a looooong part of the sentence] ..... so that
> column 3 doesn't get a 1." I assume all guessing/backtracking can be
> reduced to such sentences.

That's my understanding. Hard means how long and complicated
the sentence is.

> On the other hand, a *real* beginner can
> say "I guess a 1 in (2,2). Let us see. Oh there is a 1 in (3,3).
> It won't work. So, let us go back and remove the guessing."
>
> Some people's guessing and backtracking is other people's logical
> implication, I would think. Or isn't it?

I don't think so. Guessing means you are choosing from
more than one number. Logical implication means there is
only one possible choice.

For instance, my sudoku.xls spreadsheet doesn't solve
the puzzles, it just indicates what numbers are possible
for each cell. When my sheet shows --------1 in a cell, it
means 1 is the only choice for that cell. That's a very
simple logical implication. Other times, I'll see

-------21 --------21 .......... <-- indicates cell filled
------321 .......... ..........
.......... .......... ..........

so although at this point it would appear that cell (1,2)
can contain either 1, 2 or 3. But it must be 3 by the more
complicated logical implication that a 3x3 region must
contain a 3. Even though the cell is showing three numbers
there is only one choice. You get stuck when you have

-------21 --------21 ..........
.......... .......... ..........
.......... .......... ..........

and no simple rule to decide which cell gets 2 and
which gets 1. At this point you can guess and if you are
wrong (assuming the puzzle has a unique solution)
eventually my sheet will show you a cell containing

----------

which means the cell is empty and there is no number
that can be placed in it. The guess must have been
wrong so you bactrack and switch the original guess
to the other number.

It is my understanding that at the point I made the
guess, there is a logical rule (x-wing, coloring, etc.)
that would have pointed to the right number if only
I had been savvy enough to see it.

> --
> Jon Haugsand
> Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway, mailto:jonhaug(a)ifi.uio.no
> http://www.ifi.uio.no/~jonhaug/, Phone: +47 22 85 24 92

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: How many Primes?