From: root on
Some time ago I set up an old 1.4G Celeron machine
to organize and play mp3 files. That worked out
so well I upgraded the motherboard and graphics
card and it now serves as an A/V server. It
outputs HDMI and I use a wireless keyboard/mouse
as controls.

I now use the old Celeron machine as a dedicated
torrents machine. It's very quiet and runs 24/7
fetching and seeding torrents, mostly BBC stuff.

These are two suggestions for what to do with
an old computer, I would like to hear from
others who have devised their own applications.

BTW, I took the Celeron MB out of the case
and mounted it on a wooden board about 12x14
inches along with a small power supply and
a hard drive: a homemade "blade" computer :)
As such it is so tiny I can stick it just
about anywhere.

Any ideas about uses for old computers?
From: The Natural Philosopher on
root wrote:
> Some time ago I set up an old 1.4G Celeron machine
> to organize and play mp3 files. That worked out
> so well I upgraded the motherboard and graphics
> card and it now serves as an A/V server. It
> outputs HDMI and I use a wireless keyboard/mouse
> as controls.
>
> I now use the old Celeron machine as a dedicated
> torrents machine. It's very quiet and runs 24/7
> fetching and seeding torrents, mostly BBC stuff.
>
> These are two suggestions for what to do with
> an old computer, I would like to hear from
> others who have devised their own applications.
>
> BTW, I took the Celeron MB out of the case
> and mounted it on a wooden board about 12x14
> inches along with a small power supply and
> a hard drive: a homemade "blade" computer :)
> As such it is so tiny I can stick it just
> about anywhere.
>
> Any ideas about uses for old computers?

I have found that my needs are met with a highish spec desktop, and low
spec servers to hold all the data.

That way if the desktop goes, the data doesn't. And desktops seem to be
far more fragile.

servers dont need much video either :-)
From: Aragorn on
On Friday 02 July 2010 18:23 in comp.os.linux.misc, somebody identifying
as root wrote...

> Some time ago I set up an old 1.4G Celeron machine
> to organize and play mp3 files. That worked out
> so well I upgraded the motherboard and graphics
> card and it now serves as an A/V server. It
> outputs HDMI and I use a wireless keyboard/mouse
> as controls.
>
> I now use the old Celeron machine as a dedicated
> torrents machine. It's very quiet and runs 24/7
> fetching and seeding torrents, mostly BBC stuff.
>
> These are two suggestions for what to do with
> an old computer, I would like to hear from
> others who have devised their own applications.
>
> BTW, I took the Celeron MB out of the case
> and mounted it on a wooden board about 12x14
> inches along with a small power supply and
> a hard drive: a homemade "blade" computer :)
> As such it is so tiny I can stick it just
> about anywhere.
>
> Any ideas about uses for old computers?

It all depends on one's definition of "old", what processor the machine
has and how much RAM and diskspace is available. Off the top of my
head, things to do with an old computer could be...

- a thin client
- a dedicated router/gateway/firewall
- a dedicated BBS
- a sandbox
- a dedicated backup storage or NAS
- a networked media player
- a FreeDOS machine for running old arcade games
- et al...

;-)

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: Stan Barr on
On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 18:43:34 +0200, Aragorn <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
> On Friday 02 July 2010 18:23 in comp.os.linux.misc, somebody identifying
> as root wrote...
>>
>> Any ideas about uses for old computers?
>
> It all depends on one's definition of "old", what processor the machine
> has and how much RAM and diskspace is available. Off the top of my
> head, things to do with an old computer could be...
>
> - a thin client
> - a dedicated router/gateway/firewall
> - a dedicated BBS
> - a sandbox
> - a dedicated backup storage or NAS
> - a networked media player
> - a FreeDOS machine for running old arcade games
> - et al...

Yep, I use one as a print server, another as a PDP-11 emulator.

--
Cheers,
Stan Barr plan.b .at. dsl .dot. pipex .dot. com

The future was never like this!
From: notbob on
On 2010-07-02, root <NoEMail(a)home.org> wrote:

> Some time ago I set up an old 1.4G Celeron machine

> Any ideas about uses for old computers?

Old!? I have one about the same as the one you mention. It's my
primary computer running Slackware 13. What old?

nb