From: Mathias Gaunard on
On 8 mar, 19:17, Scott Meyers <NeverR...(a)aristeia.com> wrote:
> Mathias Gaunard wrote:
> > You give the current support of a MSVC beta, but not that of the 4.5
> > branch of GCC?
>
> Right, sorry. I give information for what I personally checked. If it makes
> you feel any better, I don't give information for MSVC 10 RC, which came out
> recently. I haven't had time to do any testing with that compiler, either.

The reference link you provided for GCC provides status for both 4.4
and 4.5. I assumed you used that.

From: Scott Meyers on
Mathias Gaunard wrote:
> The reference link you provided for GCC provides status for both 4.4
> and 4.5. I assumed you used that.

I didn't put together any information on any compiler I didn't personally check.
Given the interest in gcc 4.5 and the availability of information for it, I
will add a column for it when I have the time -- by the end of the month, I hope.

Scott

From: Bart van Ingen Schenau on
On Mar 9, 6:38 pm, Scott Meyers <NeverR...(a)aristeia.com> wrote:
> Mathias Gaunard wrote:
> > The reference link you provided for GCC provides status for both 4.4
> > and 4.5. I assumed you used that.
>
> I didn't put together any information on any compiler I didn't personally check.
> Given the interest in gcc 4.5 and the availability of information for it, I
> will add a column for it when I have the time -- by the end of the month, I hope.

Perhaps you could state on the coverpage that you only report on
compilers (-versions) that you have tested yourself, and that you are
not just summarising information from the vendors.

> Scott

Bart v Ingen Schenau

From: Scott Meyers on
Bart van Ingen Schenau wrote:
> Perhaps you could state on the coverpage that you only report on
> compilers (-versions) that you have tested yourself, and that you are
> not just summarising information from the vendors.

Fair enough. I'll add that when I get the chance.

Scott

From: Herb Sutter on
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:00:00 CST, Scott Meyers
<NeverRead(a)aristeia.com> wrote:
>Brian wrote:
>> To summarize the summary, it looks like gnu, intel and microsoft
>> are leading the pack. Whereas HP, IBM and Sun are falling
>> behind.

I'm just glad that Microsoft isn't at the very back of the conformance
pack this time. :-)

>Something else worth taking away from the summary is that there is a *lot* of
>C++0x available to play with right now. auto, lambdas, rvalue references,
>variadic templates, uniform initialization, nullptr, decltype, static_assert,
>default and deleted functions, unique_ptr, forward_list, regular expressions,
>and a whole bunch more are at your disposal. Alas, no compiler (that I know of)
>offers all these things at the same time, but for purposes of playing around
>with different features (and many combinations of features), C++0x is your oyster.

And yesterday we voted out the C++0x FCD. (Woo-hoo!) Modulo bug fixes
and corner cases, this should be It.

I didn't realize how much of a turning point this week would feel
like, at least for me personally. It was kind of like I felt rather
than heard a distant "click" somewhere of the pieces snapping
together: the committee agreeing that the feature list is now final;
the implementations of key features starting to be delivered into real
customers' hands; the availability of many features in multiple
shipping implementations this year -- including multiple shipping
implementations available by this summer of auto, for loops, move
semantics, lambdas, and more that I'm probably forgetting; and Bjarne
starting work in earnest on TC++PL 4e.

It also struck me this week that this feels a lot like the mid/late
1990s again -- a new standard is coming that is adding significant
features to the language, and actual compiler implementations still
vary. There's a lot of room again for teaching material about how to
learn the new features, how to know what's portable today and what's
not, how to write code in a future-proof way that's portable today and
will stay portable tomorrow but also be ready to take advantage of new
features, etc.

Hmm, maybe it's time...

---
Herb Sutter (herbsutter.wordpress.com)