From: Joel on
Hello,

Our 10.1.2.X subnet has depleted all available IP addresses. I created
a secondary IP on our 1841 router (IOS 12.4) of 10.1.6.X. I'm going
to create a superscope on our Win2k DHCP server (10.1.2.X) to
distribute IP addresses from the .2.X and the .6.X subnets. I have
assigned and tested a few static .6.X addresses and they seem to work
fine.

Do I need to add an IP Helper command to have the DHCP broadcasts from
the secondary IP forwarded to the DHCP server?

Can you recommend any other things to look for or consider before
implementing this?

Thanks,
Joel

From: Merv on

> Do I need to add an IP Helper command to have the DHCP broadcasts from
> the secondary IP forwarded to the DHCP server?

Only one ip helper command per DHCP server is required.

> Can you recommend any other things to look for or consider before
> implementing this?

The DHCP relay agent will insert the PRIMAY IP address of the interface
that the DHCP request was recived on. So the DHCP server configuration
must take this into account when configuring the scope. You might want
to think about moving to a new block where you can have two contigous
blocks ...

From: Joel on
Merv wrote:

> The DHCP relay agent will insert the PRIMAY IP address of the interface
> that the DHCP request was recived on. So the DHCP server configuration
> must take this into account when configuring the scope. You might want
> to think about moving to a new block where you can have two contigous
> blocks ...

Merv,

We will be moving to a contiguous block in the future. For now I need
to implement this solution to keep us going.

You said "The DHCP relay agent will insert the PRIMAY IP address of
the interfacethat the DHCP request was received on".

So if the DHCP request is received on interface is 10.1.2.1 and the
secondary is 10.1.6.1 any requests received from the .6 subnet will
cause the DHCP relay agent to be 10.1.2.1?

If my clients can use either subnet does this matter?

Does this happen without any configuration changes to the router (no IP
helper)?

Thanks for your reply.

Joel

From: Merv on

> So if the DHCP request is received on interface is 10.1.2.1 and the
> secondary is 10.1.6.1 any requests received from the .6 subnet will
> cause the DHCP relay agent to be 10.1.2.1?

That is correct. The relay agent will insert 10.1.2.1 into the GI
address field of the DHCP request. Your DHCP server uses this info to
know what DHCP scope to allocate from.

So all the magic of using the second block must be configured on your
DHCP server.

> If my clients can use either subnet does this matter?

probably not.

> Does this happen without any configuration changes to the router (no IP
> helper)?

no changes given that you already have an ip helper command configured
on the router interface in question.

From: Joel on

Thanks! I'll be implementing this tonight when our office closes @
12AM :(