From: Shoe on
Does anyone know how long Microsoft plans to continue support for XP
Service Pack 3? I have one computer I have not upgraded to 7 yet even
though I bought 7 for it last fall. I will definitely upgrade when
support is discontinued.
From: Mark Opolo on

"Shoe" <j_shoe(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know how long Microsoft plans to continue support for XP
> Service Pack 3? I have one computer I have not upgraded to 7 yet even
> though I bought 7 for it last fall. I will definitely upgrade when
> support is discontinued.

8 or maybe 9 will be out then.............

From: Stefan Patric on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:35:34 -0400, Shoe wrote:

> Does anyone know how long Microsoft plans to continue support for XP
> Service Pack 3? I have one computer I have not upgraded to 7 yet even
> though I bought 7 for it last fall. I will definitely upgrade when
> support is discontinued.

XP SP3 support continues until mid-2014, IIRC. However, if the machine's
hardware specs meet (better that they exceed) W7's minimums, why not
upgrade it now instead of waiting? Or set up a dual boot?

Stef
From: Shoe on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 16:44:11 +0000 (UTC), Stefan Patric
<not(a)this.address.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:35:34 -0400, Shoe wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know how long Microsoft plans to continue support for XP
>> Service Pack 3? I have one computer I have not upgraded to 7 yet even
>> though I bought 7 for it last fall. I will definitely upgrade when
>> support is discontinued.
>
>XP SP3 support continues until mid-2014, IIRC. However, if the machine's
>hardware specs meet (better that they exceed) W7's minimums, why not
>upgrade it now instead of waiting? Or set up a dual boot?
>
>Stef
I've been dragging my heels because this is not the computer I use and
I'm afraid of missing something when I transfer the files. The
hardware is well able to run 7. I have decided to buy a new HDD and
clone the existing drive before installing 7. I think it's not a bad
idea to start with a new drive and that way I can keep the contents of
the existing C: drive.
From: Stefan Patric on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:48:16 -0400, Shoe wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 16:44:11 +0000 (UTC), Stefan Patric
> <not(a)this.address.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:35:34 -0400, Shoe wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know how long Microsoft plans to continue support for XP
>>> Service Pack 3? I have one computer I have not upgraded to 7 yet even
>>> though I bought 7 for it last fall. I will definitely upgrade when
>>> support is discontinued.
>>
>>XP SP3 support continues until mid-2014, IIRC. However, if the
>>machine's hardware specs meet (better that they exceed) W7's minimums,
>>why not upgrade it now instead of waiting? Or set up a dual boot?
>>
>>Stef
> I've been dragging my heels because this is not the computer I use and
> I'm afraid of missing something when I transfer the files. The hardware
> is well able to run 7. I have decided to buy a new HDD and clone the
> existing drive before installing 7. I think it's not a bad idea to
> start with a new drive and that way I can keep the contents of the
> existing C: drive.

Why do you need to clone the XP drive? Just install it as a slave drive
in your system with W7 on the new drive, then you'll still have access to
all your XP files. And/or set up a dual boot. Or are you using the
"upgrade" DVD of W7? FYI: It is possible to do a clean install of W7
with the "upgrade" version. A Google search will get you the procedures.

Stef