From: Gualtier Malde on
I am using an external FAT drive of 40 GB for loading files for portability and
such.

At this point there are two folders named: RECYCLER and System Volume
Information. I don't know how they got there - they weren't there when I got
the drive - or even from which computer they came. I use the drive in my XP
netbook and my W2000 Notebook.

The system will not allow me to delete the files or format the disk, even in
Safe Mode. They take 500 MB and it's not as though I can't spare the space, but
this type of thing worries me because I don't know anything about them.

I would appreciate learning about them - thanks
gm
From: Grinder on
On 7/21/2010 1:11 PM, Gualtier Malde wrote:
> I am using an external FAT drive of 40 GB for loading files for
> portability and such.
>
> At this point there are two folders named: RECYCLER and System Volume
> Information. I don't know how they got there - they weren't there when I
> got the drive - or even from which computer they came. I use the drive
> in my XP netbook and my W2000 Notebook.
>
> The system will not allow me to delete the files or format the disk,
> even in Safe Mode. They take 500 MB and it's not as though I can't spare
> the space, but this type of thing worries me because I don't know
> anything about them.
>
> I would appreciate learning about them - thanks
> gm

Those are management files put there by the operating system to enable
the Recycle Bin and System Restore respectively.

From: Steve Urbach on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:11:08 -0700, Gualtier Malde <valacapt(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I am using an external FAT drive of 40 GB for loading files for portability and
>such.
>
>At this point there are two folders named: RECYCLER and System Volume
>Information. I don't know how they got there - they weren't there when I got
>the drive - or even from which computer they came. I use the drive in my XP
>netbook and my W2000 Notebook.
>
>The system will not allow me to delete the files or format the disk, even in
>Safe Mode. They take 500 MB and it's not as though I can't spare the space, but
>this type of thing worries me because I don't know anything about them.
>
>I would appreciate learning about them - thanks
>gm
You have been told that they are system files.

Normally, they are HIDDEN (Hide system files option)

There is another ADVANCED setting that limits the size of the restore folder.
You should understand all the ramifications before you start muckin' about in
the core system areas :)

From: Gualtier Malde on
On 7/21/2010 20.46, Steve Urbach wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:11:08 -0700, Gualtier Malde<valacapt(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I am using an external FAT drive of 40 GB for loading files for portability and
>> such.
>>
>> At this point there are two folders named: RECYCLER and System Volume
>> Information. I don't know how they got there - they weren't there when I got
>> the drive - or even from which computer they came. I use the drive in my XP
>> netbook and my W2000 Notebook.
>>
>> The system will not allow me to delete the files or format the disk, even in
>> Safe Mode. They take 500 MB and it's not as though I can't spare the space, but
>> this type of thing worries me because I don't know anything about them.
>>
>> I would appreciate learning about them - thanks
>> gm
> You have been told that they are system files.
>
> Normally, they are HIDDEN (Hide system files option)
>
> There is another ADVANCED setting that limits the size of the restore folder.
> You should understand all the ramifications before you start muckin' about in
> the core system areas :)

Thanks, both of you. After reading I went to Folder Options > View and to my
surprise the "Hide protected files..." box was un-checked. Don't know how that
happened, but it certainly isn't my intention, anywhere. The files disappeared
then, but still there. I'll try to read up on this subject over the next days
and weeks.

But there is a remaining problem: I can't unplug the drive without getting
yelled at. I click on the little icon but it says that the computer is
accessing the drive. This wasn't always the case; there was a time when those
files weren't there and the drive dismounted same as anything else. Anyway I
have looked around and can't find anything to do other than reboot. Disabling
the drive in Device Manager had no effect.

I don't have enough USB ports to tie that one up for the entire run. What can I do?
gm

From: Grinder on
On 7/22/2010 6:03 PM, Gualtier Malde wrote:
> On 7/21/2010 20.46, Steve Urbach wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:11:08 -0700, Gualtier Malde<valacapt(a)yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am using an external FAT drive of 40 GB for loading files for
>>> portability and
>>> such.
>>>
>>> At this point there are two folders named: RECYCLER and System Volume
>>> Information. I don't know how they got there - they weren't there
>>> when I got
>>> the drive - or even from which computer they came. I use the drive in
>>> my XP
>>> netbook and my W2000 Notebook.
>>>
>>> The system will not allow me to delete the files or format the disk,
>>> even in
>>> Safe Mode. They take 500 MB and it's not as though I can't spare the
>>> space, but
>>> this type of thing worries me because I don't know anything about them.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate learning about them - thanks
>>> gm
>> You have been told that they are system files.
>>
>> Normally, they are HIDDEN (Hide system files option)
>>
>> There is another ADVANCED setting that limits the size of the restore
>> folder.
>> You should understand all the ramifications before you start muckin'
>> about in
>> the core system areas :)
>>
> Thanks, both of you. After reading I went to Folder Options > View and
> to my surprise the "Hide protected files..." box was un-checked. Don't
> know how that happened, but it certainly isn't my intention, anywhere.
> The files disappeared then, but still there. I'll try to read up on this
> subject over the next days and weeks.
>
> But there is a remaining problem: I can't unplug the drive without
> getting yelled at. I click on the little icon but it says that the
> computer is accessing the drive. This wasn't always the case; there was
> a time when those files weren't there and the drive dismounted same as
> anything else. Anyway I have looked around and can't find anything to do
> other than reboot. Disabling the drive in Device Manager had no effect.
>
> I don't have enough USB ports to tie that one up for the entire run.
> What can I do?

This does not directly address your problem, but if you don't have
enough ports, I would buy an add-in usb card, or a *powered* hub. (The
card is an attractive option if your existing ports are just USB 1.1)

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Support for XP
Next: Ubuntu upgrade problem