From: Alan Illeman on
Dual-boot system: Win XP Pro / Ubuntu
Hardware: HP Compaq

Upgraded 9.04 to 10.04 LTS,
but the Grub menu has not been updated, and
still shows:

= = = =
Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-17-Generic
Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-17-Generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu 9.04, memtest 86+
Other operating systems,
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
= = = =

Selecting Ubuntu 9.04 shows (after pages of text) the
familiar desktop, but both mouse and keyboard are
frozen and the only option is to power down.

Selecting 9.04, recovery mode, shows "fsck from
util-linux-ng 2.17.12 /dev/sda1 has been mounted 22
times without being checked, check forced."
I went away for an hour and came back to see the
same screen. If ESC is pressed, I get a purple screen
with "Ubuntu 10.04" in white, and 4 dots below which
change color continuously.. red..white..red etc.
No other key is functional, powerdown is the only exit.

Obviously, 9.04 is gone - but what to do ????

I have my original Ubuntu install CD, version 5.10
"The default installation will erase all existing software
and data from your computer. However an expert
installation is available. If you want to keep your existing
files alongside Ubuntu follow the instructions carefully
during installation."

If I use this 'expert installation' will I be able to repair
the Grub menu? (I wouldn't want to lose XP too <grin>)

tia
Alan

From: Jimmy Johnson on
Alan Illeman wrote:
> Dual-boot system: Win XP Pro / Ubuntu
> Hardware: HP Compaq
>
> Upgraded 9.04 to 10.04 LTS,
> but the Grub menu has not been updated, and
> still shows:
>
> = = = = Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-17-Generic
> Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-17-Generic (recovery mode)
> Ubuntu 9.04, memtest 86+
> Other operating systems,
> Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> = = = =

The current kernel in 10.04 is 2.6.32-23-generic.

Try making a new line in your boot menu using the same info as your last
kernel, just change the kernel version to "2.6.32-23"-generic, see if
that helps.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu Lucid and Trinity KDE 3.5.11 - EXT4 at sda10
Registered Linux User #380263
From: Alan Illeman on
Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> Alan Illeman wrote:
>> Dual-boot system: Win XP Pro / Ubuntu
>> Hardware: HP Compaq
>>
>> Upgraded 9.04 to 10.04 LTS,
>> but the Grub menu has not been updated, and
>> still shows:
>>
>> = = = = Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-17-Generic
>> Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-17-Generic (recovery mode)
>> Ubuntu 9.04, memtest 86+
>> Other operating systems,
>> Microsoft Windows XP Professional
>> = = = =
>

> The current kernel in 10.04 is 2.6.32-23-generic.
>
> Try making a new line in your boot menu using the same info as your
> last kernel, just change the kernel version to "2.6.32-23"-generic,
> see if that helps.

Thanks Jimmy. I tried pressing 'e' for edit but quickly got lost.
What editor program is being used? Maybe if I versed myself
with the command of this editor, it would be easier (and safer)
to add a new line.

tia
Alan