From: Robert Hall on
Everything I have tried is below.

When I put a CD in the computer, or plug in a USB flash drive, I don't
get a window asking me what I want to do (play music, open folder to
view files, nothing, etc.) I tested the USB drive on my other
computer, and I get the dialog.

The devices show up in My Computer. If I right click and select
properties, auto-play is enabled for all file types.

Microsoft suggestions tried: http ://support.microsoft.com/kb/330135
1. Roxio Easy CD Creator is not installed.
2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom Autorun
= 1
3. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
\Explorer NoDriveTypeAutoRun = 91
4. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
\Winlogon allocatecdroms = 0
5. The ASUS DRW-014L1T cd/dvd drive has the latest drivers, and is
compatible with XP.

Microsoft autoplay repair wizard: http ://www.microsoft.com/downloads/
details.aspx?familyid=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-
a171-1b389cfacdad&displaylang=en#Instructions
1. Downloaded and ran autofix - if reported a repair, and said to
reboot. No change. Ran tool again, now it says it already ran, and I
need to log on/off before running it again. I logged off/on and also
rebooted several times, and I still get this message.
THIS TOOL IS BUGGY!

Googled suggestions not redundant with the above -

The Microsoft tool APPMDiag is supposed to do a postmortem report on
it's last autoplay when you remove a device - nothing appears in the
window when I take out a USB flash drive or a music CD.

Running gpedit.msc (to open the Group Policy window) :
1. Local computer policy - User configuration - Administrative
templates - System - Turn off autoplay = disabled
2. Local computer policy - Computer configuration - Administrative
templates - System - Turn off autoplay = disabled

Any other ideas?
From: relic on

"Robert Hall" <bobhallaz(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Everything I have tried is below.
>
> When I put a CD in the computer, or plug in a USB flash drive, I don't
> get a window asking me what I want to do (play music, open folder to
> view files, nothing, etc.) I tested the USB drive on my other
> computer, and I get the dialog.
>
> The devices show up in My Computer. If I right click and select
> properties, auto-play is enabled for all file types.
>
> Microsoft suggestions tried: http ://support.microsoft.com/kb/330135
> 1. Roxio Easy CD Creator is not installed.
> 2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom Autorun
> = 1
> 3. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
> \Explorer NoDriveTypeAutoRun = 91
> 4. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
> \Winlogon allocatecdroms = 0
> 5. The ASUS DRW-014L1T cd/dvd drive has the latest drivers, and is
> compatible with XP.
>
> Microsoft autoplay repair wizard: http ://www.microsoft.com/downloads/
> details.aspx?familyid=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-
> a171-1b389cfacdad&displaylang=en#Instructions
> 1. Downloaded and ran autofix - if reported a repair, and said to
> reboot. No change. Ran tool again, now it says it already ran, and I
> need to log on/off before running it again. I logged off/on and also
> rebooted several times, and I still get this message.
> THIS TOOL IS BUGGY!
>
> Googled suggestions not redundant with the above -
>
> The Microsoft tool APPMDiag is supposed to do a postmortem report on
> it's last autoplay when you remove a device - nothing appears in the
> window when I take out a USB flash drive or a music CD.
>
> Running gpedit.msc (to open the Group Policy window) :
> 1. Local computer policy - User configuration - Administrative
> templates - System - Turn off autoplay = disabled
> 2. Local computer policy - Computer configuration - Administrative
> templates - System - Turn off autoplay = disabled
>
> Any other ideas?

Clean Install.

From: Robert Hall on
On Jul 28, 2:26 pm, Grinder <grin...(a)no.spam.maam.com> wrote:
> On 7/28/2010 12:18 PM, Robert Hall wrote:
>

> > Everything I have tried is below.
>
> > When I put a CD in the computer, or plug in a USB flash drive, I don't
> > get a window asking me what I want to do (play music, open folder to
> > view files, nothing, etc.) I tested the USB drive on my other
> > computer, and I get the dialog.
>
> > The devices show up in My Computer. If I right click and select
> > properties, auto-play is enabled for all file types.
>
> > Microsoft suggestions tried: http ://support.microsoft.com/kb/330135
> > 1. Roxio Easy CD Creator is not installed.
> > 2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom Autorun
> > = 1
> > 3. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
> > \Explorer NoDriveTypeAutoRun = 91
> > 4. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
> > \Winlogon allocatecdroms = 0
> > 5. The ASUS DRW-014L1T cd/dvd drive has the latest drivers, and is
> > compatible with XP.
>
> > Microsoft autoplay repair wizard: http ://www.microsoft.com/downloads/
> > details.aspx?familyid=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-
> > a171-1b389cfacdad&displaylang=en#Instructions
> > 1. Downloaded and ran autofix - if reported a repair, and said to
> > reboot. No change. Ran tool again, now it says it already ran, and I
> > need to log on/off before running it again. I logged off/on and also
> > rebooted several times, and I still get this message.
> > THIS TOOL IS BUGGY!
>
> > Googled suggestions not redundant with the above -
>
> > The Microsoft tool APPMDiag is supposed to do a postmortem report on
> > it's last autoplay when you remove a device - nothing appears in the
> > window when I take out a USB flash drive or a music CD.
>
> > Running gpedit.msc (to open the Group Policy window) :
> > 1. Local computer policy - User configuration - Administrative
> > templates - System - Turn off autoplay = disabled
> > 2. Local computer policy - Computer configuration - Administrative
> > templates - System - Turn off autoplay = disabled
>
> > Any other ideas?
>
> TweakUI is a handy control panel with lots of features, including
> Autorun control.  I would probably install it to see what it says about
> the current state of settings -- both by Logical Driver Letter *and*
> Device Type.

I tried TweakUI. The right drives were preselected for autoplay. The
drive types were not preselected. I selected both of them, and
clicked apply. I still don't get the dialog when I plug in the USB
drive.

From: Robert Hall on
On Jul 28, 3:27 pm, "relic" <relic...(a)cjb.net> wrote:
> "Robert Hall" <bobhal...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Everything I have tried is below.
>
> > When I put a CD in the computer, or plug in a USB flash drive, I don't
> > get a window asking me what I want to do (play music, open folder to
> > view files, nothing, etc.) I tested the USB drive on my other
> > computer, and I get the dialog.
>
> > The devices show up in My Computer. If I right click and select
> > properties, auto-play is enabled for all file types.
>
> > Microsoft suggestions tried: http ://support.microsoft.com/kb/330135
> > 1. Roxio Easy CD Creator is not installed.
> > 2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom Autorun
> > = 1
> > 3. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
> > \Explorer NoDriveTypeAutoRun = 91
> > 4. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
> > \Winlogon allocatecdroms = 0
> > 5. The ASUS DRW-014L1T cd/dvd drive has the latest drivers, and is
> > compatible with XP.
>
> > Microsoft autoplay repair wizard: http ://www.microsoft.com/downloads/
> > details.aspx?familyid=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-
> > a171-1b389cfacdad&displaylang=en#Instructions
> > 1. Downloaded and ran autofix - if reported a repair, and said to
> > reboot. No change. Ran tool again, now it says it already ran, and I
> > need to log on/off before running it again. I logged off/on and also
> > rebooted several times, and I still get this message.
> > THIS TOOL IS BUGGY!
>
> > Googled suggestions not redundant with the above -
>
> > The Microsoft tool APPMDiag is supposed to do a postmortem report on
> > it's last autoplay when you remove a device - nothing appears in the
> > window when I take out a USB flash drive or a music CD.
>
> > Running gpedit.msc (to open the Group Policy window) :
> > 1. Local computer policy - User configuration - Administrative
> > templates - System - Turn off autoplay = disabled
> > 2. Local computer policy - Computer configuration - Administrative
> > templates - System - Turn off autoplay = disabled
>
> > Any other ideas?
>
> Clean Install.

Not happening.
From: Robert Hall on
On Jul 28, 3:27 pm, "relic" <relic...(a)cjb.net> wrote:
> "Robert Hall" <bobhal...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Everything I have tried is below.
>
> > When I put a CD in the computer, or plug in a USB flash drive, I don't
> > get a window asking me what I want to do (play music, open folder to
> > view files, nothing, etc.) I tested the USB drive on my other
> > computer, and I get the dialog.
>
> > The devices show up in My Computer. If I right click and select
> > properties, auto-play is enabled for all file types.
>
> > Microsoft suggestions tried: http ://support.microsoft.com/kb/330135
> > 1. Roxio Easy CD Creator is not installed.
> > 2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom Autorun
> > = 1
> > 3. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
> > \Explorer NoDriveTypeAutoRun = 91
> > 4. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
> > \Winlogon allocatecdroms = 0
> > 5. The ASUS DRW-014L1T cd/dvd drive has the latest drivers, and is
> > compatible with XP.
>
> > Microsoft autoplay repair wizard: http ://www.microsoft.com/downloads/
> > details.aspx?familyid=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-
> > a171-1b389cfacdad&displaylang=en#Instructions
> > 1. Downloaded and ran autofix - if reported a repair, and said to
> > reboot. No change. Ran tool again, now it says it already ran, and I
> > need to log on/off before running it again. I logged off/on and also
> > rebooted several times, and I still get this message.
> > THIS TOOL IS BUGGY!
>
> > Googled suggestions not redundant with the above -
>
> > The Microsoft tool APPMDiag is supposed to do a postmortem report on
> > it's last autoplay when you remove a device - nothing appears in the
> > window when I take out a USB flash drive or a music CD.
>
> > Running gpedit.msc (to open the Group Policy window) :
> > 1. Local computer policy - User configuration - Administrative
> > templates - System - Turn off autoplay = disabled
> > 2. Local computer policy - Computer configuration - Administrative
> > templates - System - Turn off autoplay = disabled
>
> > Any other ideas?
>
> Clean Install.

Not happening.