From: Jack on

"Robert Hall" <bobhallaz(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jul 28, 3:27 pm, "relic" <relic...(a)cjb.net> wrote:
>> "Robert Hall" <bobhal...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Everything I have tried is below.
>>
>> > When I put a CD in the computer, or plug in a USB flash drive, I don't
>> > get a window asking me what I want to do (play music, open folder to
>> > view files, nothing, etc.) I tested the USB drive on my other
>> > computer, and I get the dialog.
>>
>> > The devices show up in My Computer. If I right click and select
>> > properties, auto-play is enabled for all file types.
>>
>> > Microsoft suggestions tried: http ://support.microsoft.com/kb/330135
>> > 1. Roxio Easy CD Creator is not installed.
>> > 2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom Autorun
>> > = 1
>> > 3. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
>> > \Explorer NoDriveTypeAutoRun = 91
>> > 4. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
>> > \Winlogon allocatecdroms = 0
>> > 5. The ASUS DRW-014L1T cd/dvd drive has the latest drivers, and is
>> > compatible with XP.
>>
>> > Microsoft autoplay repair wizard: http ://www.microsoft.com/downloads/
>> > details.aspx?familyid=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-
>> > a171-1b389cfacdad&displaylang=en#Instructions
>> > 1. Downloaded and ran autofix - if reported a repair, and said to
>> > reboot. No change. Ran tool again, now it says it already ran, and I
>> > need to log on/off before running it again. I logged off/on and also
>> > rebooted several times, and I still get this message.
>> > THIS TOOL IS BUGGY!
>>
>> > Googled suggestions not redundant with the above -
>>
>> > The Microsoft tool APPMDiag is supposed to do a postmortem report on
>> > it's last autoplay when you remove a device - nothing appears in the
>> > window when I take out a USB flash drive or a music CD.
>>
>> > Running gpedit.msc (to open the Group Policy window) :
>> > 1. Local computer policy - User configuration - Administrative
>> > templates - System - Turn off autoplay = disabled
>> > 2. Local computer policy - Computer configuration - Administrative
>> > templates - System - Turn off autoplay = disabled
>>
>> > Any other ideas?
>>
>> Clean Install.
>
> Not happening.

It will eventually if you want it fixed. Take relic's advice and fix it...
then stop messing with it.

From: Robert Hall on
On Jul 28, 3:27 pm, "relic" <relic...(a)cjb.net> wrote:
> "Robert Hall" <bobhal...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Everything I have tried is below.
>
> > When I put a CD in the computer, or plug in a USB flash drive, I don't
> > get a window asking me what I want to do (play music, open folder to
> > view files, nothing, etc.) I tested the USB drive on my other
> > computer, and I get the dialog.
>
> > The devices show up in My Computer. If I right click and select
> > properties, auto-play is enabled for all file types.
>
> > Microsoft suggestions tried: http ://support.microsoft.com/kb/330135
> > 1. Roxio Easy CD Creator is not installed.
> > 2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom Autorun
> > = 1
> > 3. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
> > \Explorer NoDriveTypeAutoRun = 91
> > 4. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
> > \Winlogon allocatecdroms = 0
> > 5. The ASUS DRW-014L1T cd/dvd drive has the latest drivers, and is
> > compatible with XP.
>
> > Microsoft autoplay repair wizard: http ://www.microsoft.com/downloads/
> > details.aspx?familyid=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-
> > a171-1b389cfacdad&displaylang=en#Instructions
> > 1. Downloaded and ran autofix - if reported a repair, and said to
> > reboot. No change. Ran tool again, now it says it already ran, and I
> > need to log on/off before running it again. I logged off/on and also
> > rebooted several times, and I still get this message.
> > THIS TOOL IS BUGGY!
>
> > Googled suggestions not redundant with the above -
>
> > The Microsoft tool APPMDiag is supposed to do a postmortem report on
> > it's last autoplay when you remove a device - nothing appears in the
> > window when I take out a USB flash drive or a music CD.
>
> > Running gpedit.msc (to open the Group Policy window) :
> > 1. Local computer policy - User configuration - Administrative
> > templates - System - Turn off autoplay = disabled
> > 2. Local computer policy - Computer configuration - Administrative
> > templates - System - Turn off autoplay = disabled
>
> > Any other ideas?
>
> Clean Install.

Not happening.
From: Robert Hall on
On Jul 28, 3:55 pm, "Jack" <nos...(a)invalid.not> wrote:
> "Robert Hall" <bobhal...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> -------- SNIP ----------
>
> >> Clean Install.
>
> > Not happening.
>
> It will eventually if you want it fixed. Take relic's advice and fix it....
> then stop messing with it.

If it will take a re-install of the O/S then it will never be fixed.
I'll just open the CD/DVD/USB drive in My Computer.
There is just too much software, and too much hardware configuration
to make it worth it.
From: Robert Hall on

From: Robert Hall on
On Jul 28, 8:09 pm, Patok <crazy.div.pa...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert Hall wrote:
> > Everything I have tried is below.
>
> <snip>
>
>    I don't have any advice to help you, but I'm genuinely curios - why
> do you need auto-play? All people I know have actively disabled it. I
> consider it highly annoying, and a security risk. From what I remember,
> one of the primary reasons I had for installing TweakUI was to make sure
> it is disabled, and (especially) flash drives would never autorun.
>    I think you should consider it a blessing in disguise. :)

Because I don't like to have to goto My Computer when I plug in a USB
flash drive or CD. I should get the menu, what to do? - I don't ever
select "remember" - so it's actually not auto-playing anything...