From: Trenton Carr on
Hello all

AsusAMD64 MoBo with onboard Marvel Lan is dead in WinXP when shutting down
from Suse10/KDE. I had the same issue with Suse9.2, but found a workaround
by shutting down from root with,

shutdown -r now

This does not work work with Suse10, using

shutdown -nr now

_does_ work but it goes down to quickly and the docs advise against it.

Anyone know where I can look to see what the KDE shutdown script does to
the hardware or doesn't?

Regards

Trenton

--
Still looking for an appropriate signature.
From: Dirk Bruere at Neopax on
Trenton Carr wrote:

> Hello all
>
> AsusAMD64 MoBo with onboard Marvel Lan is dead in WinXP when shutting
> down from Suse10/KDE. I had the same issue with Suse9.2, but found a
> workaround by shutting down from root with,
>
> shutdown -r now
>
> This does not work work with Suse10, using
>
> shutdown -nr now
>
> _does_ work but it goes down to quickly and the docs advise against it.
>
> Anyone know where I can look to see what the KDE shutdown script does
> to the hardware or doesn't?
>
> Regards
>
> Trenton

Having just loaded 9.2 can anyone explain why I should go to 10?

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
From: Rajko M. on
Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote:

> Having just loaded 9.2 can anyone explain why I should go to 10?

A lot of bug fixes, would be the major reason.
More functionality in programs is the second.
Faster boot, KDE, etc, would be the third.

--
Regards,
Rajko.
From: Rajko M. on
Trenton Carr wrote:

> Hello all
>
> AsusAMD64 MoBo with onboard Marvel Lan is dead in WinXP when shutting down
> from Suse10/KDE. I had the same issue with Suse9.2, but found a
> workaround
> by shutting down from root with,
>
> shutdown -r now
>
> This does not work work with Suse10, using
>
> shutdown -nr now
>
> _does_ work but it goes down to quickly and the docs advise against it.
>
> Anyone know where I can look to see what the KDE shutdown script does to
> the hardware or doesn't?
>
> Regards
>
> Trenton

Hi Trenton,

This is from opensuse.org.suse-linux.support.networking on
news://support-forums.novell.com :

"Apparently there is a bug in the kernel module that is in the SuSE
kernel, if you are using the nic in gig mode it can reset the card as
it does not use jumbo frames, this was brought to my attention in
another thread, I think the only way to fix this is to either upgrade
the kernel to one that has the "fixed" module or grab the Marvell
source and compile your own module for inclusion in the kernel you have
now."

HTH
--
Regards,
Rajko.
From: houghi on
Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote:
> Having just loaded 9.2 can anyone explain why I should go to 10?

If it is a complete new installation, 10 would be a good way to install
right now as not much work has been done on it.
10.0 will be 1 year longer to be updated then 9.2. If you have done some
tweaking and like what you have; if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Update
when the there is no more update available for what you have.
--
houghi Please do not toppost http://houghi.org
You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of