From: Bill C on
I bought a Dell notebook that came with 32-bit Windows Vista Home
Premium. I took advantage of the $49.99 upgrade offer for 32-bit
Windows 7 Home Premium. I want to switch to 64-bit Windows Home
Premium (Adobe After Effects CS5 is 64-bit only).

The Windows 7 box came with both 32-bit and 64-bit DVD's. Can I
install the 64-bit version I already have, or must I first purchase a
copy of 64-bit vista to do the upgrade?

From: Bobby Johnson on
Since your package came with both 32-bit & 64-bit DVDs you may "upgrade"
from 32-bit to 64-bit, but it will require a full clean install. There
is no upgrade path from 32-bit to 64-bit and you may have to activate
via telephone since your Product Key has already been activated with the
32-bit.

You can migrate you data files and program setting using Windows Easy
Transfer. I used this to upgrade my wife's computer from 32-bit XP Pro
to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with a clean install. I was pleasantly
surprised how well the Easy Transfer worked. You can customize what is
included in the transfer also.

From: Jerry on
Is the notebook even 64-bit capable?

From: James Kosin on
On 4/22/2010 4:15 PM, Jerry wrote:
> Is the notebook even 64-bit capable?
>
> "Bill C" <mousepoop.com(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I bought a Dell notebook that came with 32-bit Windows Vista Home
>> Premium. I took advantage of the $49.99 upgrade offer for 32-bit
>> Windows 7 Home Premium. I want to switch to 64-bit Windows Home
>> Premium (Adobe After Effects CS5 is 64-bit only).
>>
>> The Windows 7 box came with both 32-bit and 64-bit DVD's. Can I
>> install the 64-bit version I already have, or must I first purchase a
>> copy of 64-bit vista to do the upgrade?

Jerry,

Most newer ones are, however, it won't hurt to look-up the information.

Information on the processor can be retrieved from the 'My Computer'
'Properties' or the 'System Properties'.... varies by OS.

Intel Processors are here : http://www.intel.com
search for the Intel number (on my system E4500)
and look for supporting Intel� EM64T

AMD is here: http://www.amd.com
they are a bit more difficult, but try the search.

I'm also pretty sure that the install will NOT continue if the processor
is not 64-bit complaint. Microsoft and Intel state that the BIOS,
motherboard and processor all have to be 64-bit compliant for the system
to reach the expected performance.

James
From: Bill C on
On Apr 22, 1:15 pm, "Jerry" <ChiefZekeNoS...(a)MSN.com> wrote:
> Is the notebook even 64-bit capable?

Yes. I had my choice of 32-bit or 64-bit Vista. I chose 32-bit (I had
heard of some compatability issues with 64-bit windows).

I wish Microsoft would make it easier to have systems with both 32-bit
and 64-bit Windows installed. A single installation of Windows should
do both and installed applications should be available to both as
well.

As it is now, if I want both, I need to install my applications twice,
once for each version of Windows.