From: David W. Fenton on
PW <emailaddyinsig(a)ifIremember.com> wrote in

> Mom is in one state, daughter is in another. Mom mostly takes
> reservations over the phone, and once in a while the daughter
> will. Both can be entering in new clients.
>
> I am trying to think if synching the two databases (most like will
> be emailing them back and forth or using Remote Desktop) would be
> possible.

I think for this purpose, I'd go with hosted Sharepoint and use it
to synch between databases. Dunno if that works reliably and
efficiently with what's currently available (A2007), but what's
coming with A2010 and Sharepoint 2010 with Access Services would
serve the purpose quite well.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Arvin Meyer on
If you are connecting through a PC instead of a server, make sure that you
have a folder with a second copy of the front-end. Remember, there is no
difference (effectively) between a local user and a remote user. I would
think that without a terminal services server, there may be some performance
issues. What I've always done in that situation is to connect to a running,
but unused PC (like logging into my workstation at work, from a laptop while
on the road)

Two people cannot really use the same workstation remotely. They wind up
fighting for control of the mouse, keyboard, etc. There are PC thin client
programs that function like a server though. Here's 1:

http://www.thinsoftinc.com/product_thin_client_winconnect_server_vs.aspx
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

From: PW on

Hi Arvin,

>If you are connecting through a PC instead of a server, make sure that you
>have a folder with a second copy of the front-end.

I am not sure what you mean or why that is necessary. That would be
on the PC connecting? The data would most likely be somewhere else
than the PC that she would be connected to (another PC, or a server)
as there may be mutliple users there.

Thanks,

-paulw

From: PW on
On 5 May 2010 02:55:35 GMT, "David W. Fenton"
<XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:

>PW <emailaddyinsig(a)ifIremember.com> wrote in
>
>> Mom is in one state, daughter is in another. Mom mostly takes
>> reservations over the phone, and once in a while the daughter
>> will. Both can be entering in new clients.
>>
>> I am trying to think if synching the two databases (most like will
>> be emailing them back and forth or using Remote Desktop) would be
>> possible.
>
>I think for this purpose, I'd go with hosted Sharepoint and use it
>to synch between databases. Dunno if that works reliably and
>efficiently with what's currently available (A2007), but what's
>coming with A2010 and Sharepoint 2010 with Access Services would
>serve the purpose quite well.

Thanks David. I don't know anything about Sharepoint but will do some
research.

-paul
From: Arvin Meyer on
It is necessary because multiple users on the same front-end WILL eventually
cause a corruption.

A server is a standalone machine that stores and serves files. No one works
on a server. That means in a 2 user situation you have 3 machines, a server
and 2 PCs. If you are using a peer to peer network (only 2 machines) only
one user should be working at a time (for terminal services). On a
peer-to-peer LAN there can be 2 machines without a server, and both users
can work at the same time.

In ALL cases you MUST use a separate front-end, linked to the data, for EACH
user. Anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong. If you do not have separate
front-ends you will corrupt eventually.

I can't make it any plainer than that.