From: Richard B. Gilbert on
Harold Fuchs wrote:
> I have a 7 year old Palm m515 which still works perfectly but which I'd
> like
> to upgrade so as to have phone & PDA in one device. The Palm came with PC
> software that runs under Windows XP Pro. Among many other things, this
> software allows one to enter PIM (Personal Information Management) data -
> Contacts, Calendar and Tasks/ToDos - which can then be properly
> synchronised
> to the Palm. By "properly synchronised" I mean that new data on either the
> PC or the Palm are copied to the other; changes to either are reflected on
> the other; data deleted from either are deleted from the other; and
> conflicts are handled in a sensible, easy-to-understand way with a
> correspondingly straightforward resolution procedure. This synchronisation
> process is direct Palm <-> PC. No data go via the "cloud" (internet).
>
> I would like to buy *any* smartphone that allows the same facilities.
> The PC
> software should either be freeware or should come "in the box" with the
> phone. Note that I do not own a copy of Microsoft Outlook and, as that's
> far
> from free, does not qualify as a solution. Synchronisation must *not*
> involve using the internet/cloud in any way, not even as an intermediate
> step. I think that rules out Palm Pre (webOS) and Google (Android) phones
> but am happy to be corrected. Apple's iTunes doesn't seem to allow entry of
> PIM data so ...
>
> Oh, the device must have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth as well as being a phone.
>
> Just as an oh-by-the-way, the PC software that came with the Palm is
> actually a pretty decent PIM system in its own right. The calendar has
> several clear views (day, week, month etc.). Tasks and appointments can
> have
> alarms and the calendar allows complex repeats. Fields for contacts are
> flexible and contacts can be easily categorised. Definitely at least 4
> stars
> out of 5. I've tried Nokia's PC Suite (with my Nokia 6230i) and, IMHO, it's
> rubbish by comparison. I haven't seen Nokia's latest (Ovi).
>
> Ideas anyone?
>
> Please.
>
> Harold Fuchs
> London, England

Well, a Handspring Treo 90 will do the PDA part for you. The only thing
I miss is being able to write on the touch screen using the Graffiti
alphabet. I can write Graffiti faster than I can type on the miniature
keyboard.

I don't know of a phone running Palm Software although there may well be
one.

The smartest smart phones I know of are the Blackberry line. They are
VERY expensive even after provider subsidy. OTOH, you get a QWERTY
keyboard, a lot of memory, calendar, notepad, contact list, etc. My
experience with them consists of playing with used and unactivated models.

Look around before you buy! Talk to people who actually use the models
you are considering. Whatever you get you will be stuck with for two
years! And you may not want to buy a new phone every two years; it
means a new contract!