From: Harold Fuchs on
I have a 7 year old Palm m515 which still works perfectly but which I'd like
to upgrade so as to have phone & PDA in one device. The Palm came with PC
software that runs under Windows XP Pro. Among many other things, this
software allows one to enter PIM (Personal Information Management) data -
Contacts, Calendar and Tasks/ToDos - which can then be properly synchronised
to the Palm. By "properly synchronised" I mean that new data on either the
PC or the Palm are copied to the other; changes to either are reflected on
the other; data deleted from either are deleted from the other; and
conflicts are handled in a sensible, easy-to-understand way with a
correspondingly straightforward resolution procedure. This synchronisation
process is direct Palm <-> PC. No data go via the "cloud" (internet).

I would like to buy *any* smartphone that allows the same facilities. The PC
software should either be freeware or should come "in the box" with the
phone. Note that I do not own a copy of Microsoft Outlook and, as that's far
from free, does not qualify as a solution. Synchronisation must *not*
involve using the internet/cloud in any way, not even as an intermediate
step. I think that rules out Palm Pre (webOS) and Google (Android) phones
but am happy to be corrected. Apple's iTunes doesn't seem to allow entry of
PIM data so ...

Oh, the device must have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth as well as being a phone.

Just as an oh-by-the-way, the PC software that came with the Palm is
actually a pretty decent PIM system in its own right. The calendar has
several clear views (day, week, month etc.). Tasks and appointments can have
alarms and the calendar allows complex repeats. Fields for contacts are
flexible and contacts can be easily categorised. Definitely at least 4 stars
out of 5. I've tried Nokia's PC Suite (with my Nokia 6230i) and, IMHO, it's
rubbish by comparison. I haven't seen Nokia's latest (Ovi).

Ideas anyone?

Please.

Harold Fuchs
London, England

From: John W Kennedy on
At present, iPhone only syncs to Windows using Outlook. (Using a Mac,
it syncs to the built-in iCal and Address Book programs.) However,
there's a new version of iPhoneOS (4.0) being demonstrated Thursday, so
it might be worth the while to wait a bit. The unfortunate fact is that
Outlook is the 400-pound gorilla in the Windows world.

--
John W Kennedy
"I want everybody to be smart. As smart as they can be. A world of

From: Jim Anderson on
In article <3QJun.142526$E66.113015(a)newsfe22.ams2>, me(a)privacy.net
says...
> Synchronisation must *not*
> involve using the internet/cloud in any way, not even as an intermediate
> step. I think that rules out Palm Pre (webOS) and Google (Android) phones
> but am happy to be corrected.

Palm WebOS was designed to cloud sync, but the cloud sync can be turned
off and sync only with the desktop, but unfortunately, it uses the
feature-limited 6.X desktop from Access, that is virtually the 3.X
desktop, upgraded to Vista-sync compatibility.

Just thought you should be aware.
From: Harold Fuchs on

"Jim Anderson" <josser(a)charter.my_finger.net> wrote in message
> In article <3QJun.142526$E66.113015(a)newsfe22.ams2>, me(a)privacy.net
> says...
>> Synchronisation must *not*
>> involve using the internet/cloud in any way, not even as an intermediate
>> step. I think that rules out Palm Pre (webOS) and Google (Android) phones
>> but am happy to be corrected.
>>

> Palm WebOS was designed to cloud sync, but the cloud sync can be turned
> off and sync only with the desktop, but unfortunately, it uses the
> feature-limited 6.X desktop from Access, that is virtually the 3.X
> desktop, upgraded to Vista-sync compatibility.
>
> Just thought you should be aware.

As far as I can see, Palm Desktop 6.2 (the latest ???) is *only* available
for Vista. Or have I not looked hard enough?

Harold Fuchs

From: Jim Anderson on
In article <Eh2vn.648988$DL1.297209(a)newsfe25.ams2>, me(a)privacy.net
says...

> "Jim Anderson" <josser(a)charter.my_finger.net> wrote in message
> > In article <3QJun.142526$E66.113015(a)newsfe22.ams2>, me(a)privacy.net
> > says...
> >> Synchronisation must *not*
> >> involve using the internet/cloud in any way, not even as an intermediate
> >> step. I think that rules out Palm Pre (webOS) and Google (Android) phones
> >> but am happy to be corrected.
> >>

> > Palm WebOS was designed to cloud sync, but the cloud sync can be turned
> > off and sync only with the desktop, but unfortunately, it uses the
> > feature-limited 6.X desktop from Access, that is virtually the 3.X
> > desktop, upgraded to Vista-sync compatibility.
> >
> > Just thought you should be aware.
>
> As far as I can see, Palm Desktop 6.2 (the latest ???) is *only* available
> for Vista. Or have I not looked hard enough?
>
> Harold Fuchs

From product requirements;

Windows versions

* Windows Vista Basic, Home Premium, Business and Ultimate
Note 64-bit Windows Vista is not supported for USB synchronization.
* Windows XP Home and Professional (32-bit editions)
* Windows Media Center Edition 2005

( 8(|)