From: richard.townsendrose on
Hi all

Can someone explain to me the use of the square brackets and inverted
commas for creating strings ...

it seems to be a way of putting text into a text string ??????
but what are the rules ? and where do i find them...
------ me being more of a plumber than a programmer -----

for example for the awt library, there is a lot of code like this:

ACCESS HTML CLASS HTMLLink

LOCAL cString := "<a href=" AS STRING
LOCAL oT AS OBJECT
LOCAL x := 1 AS INT

IF !(SELF:URL == "")
cString += ["]+AllTrim(SELF:URL)
ENDIF

IF !(SELF:Anchor == "")
cString += [#]+AllTrim(SELF:Anchor)
ENDIF

IF !(SELF:SearchString == "" )
cString += [?]
oT := CreateInstance( #Tokenizer )
oT:AsString := SELF:SearchString
cString += oT:AsArray[x]
FOR x := 2 UPTO oT:Count
cString += [+] + oT:AsArray[x]
NEXT x
ENDIF

cString += [">]

IF !(SELF:TextValue == "" )
cString += AllTrim(SELF:TextValue)
ENDIF

cString += [</a>]
cString := SUPER:Caption(cString)

RETURN cString

Thanks

Richard
From: Amilcar A. Camargo on
Hi Richard,

On Sun, 16 May 2010 07:22:04 -0700 (PDT), "richard.townsendrose"
<richard.townsendrose(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

>Hi all
>
>Can someone explain to me the use of the square brackets and inverted
>commas for creating strings ...
>
>it seems to be a way of putting text into a text string ??????
>but what are the rules ? and where do i find them...
> ------ me being more of a plumber than a programmer -----

Visual Objects provides three ways to delimit a string:

double quotation mark:

cText := "Hello world"

single quotation mark:

cText := 'Hello world'

square brackets:

cText := [Hello world]

You can use any of them at any time. They are handy when you need to include in
your string a double quotation mark (") for example. In some other languages
you have to 'escape' it. Examples:

cLink := [<a href="mypage.htm">This is my page</a>]
cLink := '<a href="mypage.htm">This is my page</a>'

as you can see, the string needs (") inside so you use one of the alternative
ways to delimit it.

HTH,
Amilcar A. Camargo F.
Guatemala, C. A.
From: richard.townsendrose on
Amilcar

Thanks you very much - it is so simple when you are told !

Regards

Richard

Pages: 1
Prev: WebService