From: jas0n on
I had problems getting sysprep and the default user profile working
yesterday and thought id note down the few gotchas for others who may be new
to sysprep like me.

Process:-
Setup your fresh install, patches, software, etc
Log in as Administrator & change this profile as req'd as this is the
profile sysprep now copies over the default user profile
extract sysprep files to c:\sysprep - this folder & contents gets removed
once complete
sysprep.inf file must be located in c:\sysprep folder
If you rename Administrator user - it wont copy over default user profile
Leave Administrator password blank - set your password using the sysprep.inf

Other notes:-
you must run mini setup to have it follow the sysprep.inf

Once ready open command prompt, navigate to c:\sysprep folder and use:-

sysprep /reseal /mini

It shuts the pc down when completed

Note: Dont boot up the pc until you have taken an image of the drive using
your favourite imaging software - I used acronis true image booting from a
bootable cd & saving the image to a usb disk.

The following sysprep.inf file worked for me without error after several
hours scouring various articles - I have removed the password section and
changed the Windows key. Copy this to a sysprep.inf file and then edit it
with setupmgr to add your key and encrypted password.

These are the specific parts I added after reading various posts:-

[Unattended]
KeepPageFile=0 - this removes pagefile once sysprep'd
UpdateServerProfileDirectory=1 - this ensures copy of Administrator
profile over default user (0 would disable it I believe)

[SysPrep]
BuildMassStorageSection=Yes - seen a reference to this so that it
includes all mass storage controllers it knows about in image, not sure if
requierd.

;SetupMgrTag
[Unattended]
OemSkipEula=Yes
InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
KeepPageFile=0
UpdateServerProfileDirectory=1

[GuiUnattended]
OEMSkipRegional=1
OEMDuplicatorstring=HPdc5100sff
TimeZone=85
OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
ProductKey=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
FullName="IT Department"
OrgName="Homeoffice"
ComputerName=*

[Display]