From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Karthik Balaguru" <karthikbalaguru79(a)gmail.com>

| On Mar 14, 6:08 am, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...(a)Verizon.Net>
| wrote:
>> From: <spi...(a)freenet.co.uk>

>> | And verily, didst Karthik Balaguru <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com> hastily babble
>> thusly:

>> | No, it means the virus scanners don't scan running processes.
>> | They scan files on hard disk and in e-mails/other network related stuff that
>> | are destined for transfer to windows based networks/machines... and then
>> | quarantine anything that matches a virus profile.

>> McAfee scans running processes.

| Interesting. So, does McAfee also check for malicious calls from
| malicious applications ?

| But, i think McAfee is not an opensource software.So,
| any other open source virus scanner that supports the
| feature of checking the malicious calls from malicious
| applications ?

| Thx in advans,
| Karthik Balaguru

Define: "malicious calls"

--
Dave

From: Matt Giwer on
On 03/14/2010 09:57 AM, Karthik Balaguru wrote:
> On Mar 14, 6:08 am, "David H. Lipman"<DLipman~nosp...(a)Verizon.Net>
> wrote:
>> From:<spi...(a)freenet.co.uk>
>> | And verily, didst Karthik Balaguru<karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com> hastily babble thusly:
>> | No, it means the virus scanners don't scan running processes.
>> | They scan files on hard disk and in e-mails/other network related stuff that
>> | are destined for transfer to windows based networks/machines... and then
>> | quarantine anything that matches a virus profile.
>>
>> McAfee scans running processes.

> Interesting. So, does McAfee also check for malicious calls from
> malicious applications ?
>
> But, i think McAfee is not an opensource software.So,
> any other open source virus scanner that supports the
> feature of checking the malicious calls from malicious
> applications ?

Last I heard, McAfee looks at discovered viruses, finds patterns in them and
then scans for that pattern. This works as once a new nasty exploit is
discovered it spreads with minor changes around the core exploit like which IP
to go to for instructions.

I have not heard of anyone being able to predetermine what to scan for in
applications as something one does not want. Were that the case, all
formatting programs are trojans and all updating software are making
unauthorized calls to MS or yum repositories.

--
Before the Gaza massacre Israel was given the benefit of the doubt.
With Gaza Israel removed all doubt.
From: FromTheRafters on
wrote:
> From: <spi...(a)freenet.co.uk>
>
> | And verily, didst Karthik Balaguru <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com>
> hastily babble thusly:
>
> >> [Karthik Balaguru]
> >> So, does it imply that the virus scanners check for
> >> malicious system calls from malicious applications
> >> in Windows ? Are there any opensource implementation
> >> of those virus scanners that check for malicious
> >> system calls from certain applications in Windows ?
>
> | No, it means the virus scanners don't scan running processes.
> | They scan files on hard disk and in e-mails/other network related
> stuff that
> | are destined for transfer to windows based networks/machines... and
> then
> | quarantine anything that matches a virus profile.
>
> McAfee scans running processes.

Interesting. So, does McAfee also check for malicious calls from
malicious applications ?

But, i think McAfee is not an opensource software.So,
any other open source virus scanner that supports the
feature of checking the malicious calls from malicious
applications ?

Readers of this thread might also find this interesting:
http://vx.netlux.org/lib/afc08.html

From: Karthik Balaguru on
On Mar 14, 9:28 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...(a)Verizon.Net>
wrote:
> From: "Karthik Balaguru" <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com>
>
> | On Mar 14, 6:08 am, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...(a)Verizon.Net>
>
> | wrote:
> >> From: <spi...(a)freenet.co.uk>
> >> thusly:

> >> McAfee scans running processes.
>
> | Interesting. So, does McAfee also check for malicious calls from
> | malicious applications ?
>
> | But, i think McAfee is not an opensource software.So,
> | any other open source virus scanner that supports the
> | feature of checking the malicious calls from malicious
> | applications ?
>
> | Thx in advans,
> | Karthik Balaguru
>
> Define:  "malicious calls"

Just 'unreliable/tweaked calls' .

There are many views for this :
- In-correct parameters in the sys calls.
- Certain calls could have been altered by somone as it is
available openly. In such scenarios, if an application is installed on
such a system and if it is dependent on the library in which the
system calls have been altered, then the newly installed application
might use those specific calls(library) which inturn would cause
problems as it has been tweaked.

I think, REMUS(Kernel module for Linux) helps in identification of
the incorrect parameters, access rights by interaction with the
AccessControl Database managed by the sysctl command,
but not sure if it would be help in identifying whether the system
calls
have been tweaked.

It appears that McAfee looks finds patterns in the discovered viruses,
and then scans for that pattern. That is, it is dependent on the map.

Eager to know if there any tool that could help in identification
of the tweaked system calls ?

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru
From: Karthik Balaguru on
On Mar 16, 5:09 pm, "FromTheRafters" <erra...(a)nomail.afraid.org>
wrote:
> "Karthik Balaguru" <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> I think, REMUS(Kernel module for Linux) helps in identification of
> the incorrect parameters, access rights by interaction with the
> AccessControl Database managed by the sysctl command,
> but not sure if it would be help in identifying whether the system
> calls have been tweaked.
>
> ***
> It looks for suspicious activity regarding programs using legitimate
> calls in a suspicious (possibly malicious) manner. Some attack patterns
> are known to use certain combinations of calls, any program using that
> certain combination of calls will be suspect. The calls themselves are
> not malicious. Seehttp://www.pdf-tube.com/download/ebook/REMUS:%20A%20Security-Enhanced...
> ***

Yeah, i do find that malicious calls have different views.

From the REMUS document from the link provided by you
it seems that malicious calls also include -
- Illegal invocation of critical system calls that could
cause hijacking of control of any privileged process.
- In efficient check of the argument values of the system calls

The remus homepage link was actually breaking and
hence i was collecting information by searching in internet -
http://cesare.dsi.uniroma1.it/Sicurezza/doc/remus.pdf
Thx for providing the link. I will check it out.

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru