From: Urizen on
Hello!

I own a laptop running Windows XP Professional. In the past, the Power
Schemes located in the Power Options Properties, which enable to configure
when the laptop goes into "hibernation" or "stand by" upon a certain time,
used to work fine. However, a few months ago they stopped working altogether.
When the specified time is reached, the computer simply turns off the monitor
for either configuration ("System standby After..." and "System hibernates
After...").

The other Power Schemes configurations are working pretty well ("Turn off
monitor" and "Turn off hard disks").

Such situation happpens either when the laptop is plugged in or running on
batteries. Is there any way to restore the behaviour of the options that
enable the computer to Hibertante or Stand By upon a specified time, so that
they can work properly again?

I am thankful for any help.

Kind regards,
Rui Nunes
From: Unknown on
Check for something running in the background such as a virus scanner.

From: Urizen on
Thank you very much for replying back. There is no issue with any program
running in the background as if I order manually the laptor to hibernate or
sleep, it really does it.

Is there any way to restore the factory files of the Power Schemes located
in the Power Options Properties for the Windows XP Professional?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Rui Nunes

From: John John - MVP on
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913622
Power scheme options are unavailable on a Windows XP-based computer

John

From: Unknown on
Answered in line.
> Thank you very much for replying back. There is no issue with any program
> running in the background as if I order manually the laptor to hibernate
> or
> sleep, it really does it
..
It may very well hibernate or sleep if you manually order it. BUT, if you
have it set for time such as
20 minutes but a virus scan occurs after 5 minutes of inactivity the
computer will not sleep or hibernate.
Display the task manager while waiting for sleep or hibernation to occur.