From: Martin Sørensen on
Hello there;

I am renting out 3 holiday apartments and need to keep track of
bookings in some way or other.

At the moment I am using Excel (1 sheet per apartment) but find it
hard to see where there is availability at a glance.

So, ideally I would have a calendar overview, as well as details for
each booking with contact and payment status etc.

The websites I have found do not quite seem to do what I want. Bento
is cheap but also seems underpowered, and Filemaker is a bit pricey
for this.

Any good suggestions? Navicat/mySQL? Excel macros?

Among other things, I need to generate a list ordered by date for our
cleaning lady to know of the action.

TIA

Martin
From: Tom Harrington on
In article
<72b7e116-ecd0-434a-9fbe-6b3929d83eb6(a)w31g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Martin S�rensen <santana.sorensen(a)get2net.dk> wrote:

> Hello there;
>
> I am renting out 3 holiday apartments and need to keep track of
> bookings in some way or other.
>
> At the moment I am using Excel (1 sheet per apartment) but find it
> hard to see where there is availability at a glance.
>
> So, ideally I would have a calendar overview, as well as details for
> each booking with contact and payment status etc.
>
> The websites I have found do not quite seem to do what I want. Bento
> is cheap but also seems underpowered, and Filemaker is a bit pricey
> for this.

Based on your description it sounds like you could do this easily in
iCal. Create a different calendar for each apartment, so that you can
assign different colors to each one. Then schedule bookings as all-day
events covering the appropriate days. At a glance you'll be able to see
which ones are available on a date.

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
Independent Mac OS X developer since 2002
From: Martin Sørensen on
On Jul 10, 11:13 pm, Tom Harrington <t...(a)pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net>
wrote:
> In article
> <72b7e116-ecd0-434a-9fbe-6b3929d83...(a)w31g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
>  Martin Sørensen <santana.soren...(a)get2net.dk> wrote:
>
> > Hello there;
>
> > I am renting out 3 holiday apartments and need to keep track of
> > bookings in some way or other.
>
> > At the moment I am using Excel (1 sheet per apartment) but find it
> > hard to see where there is availability at a glance.
>
> > So, ideally I would have a calendar overview, as well as details for
> > each booking with contact and payment status etc.
>
> > The websites I have found do not quite seem to do what I want. Bento
> > is cheap but also seems underpowered, and Filemaker is a bit pricey
> > for this.
>
> Based on your description it sounds like you could do this easily in
> iCal.  Create a different calendar for each apartment, so that you can
> assign different colors to each one. Then schedule bookings as all-day
> events covering the appropriate days. At a glance you'll be able to see
> which ones are available on a date.
>
> --
> Tom "Tom" Harrington
> Independent Mac OS X developer since 2002http://www.atomicbird.com/

Thank you, I have considered that. What is not clear to me is how I
can integrate

- payment status. Guests pay 25% deposit and the rest 8 weeks before.
- generate an list automatically with relevan info for our cleaning
lady (she likes to have a overview a month ahead when it is busy)
- tracking income and sources of the bookings (to see where it is
worth advertising)

Do you know if Bento can do that?

/Martin
From: Tom Harrington on
In article
<2eaa6150-8b84-4bbe-9e93-9f732cce7e5b(a)k39g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Martin S�rensen <santana.sorensen(a)get2net.dk> wrote:

> On Jul 10, 11:13�pm, Tom Harrington <t...(a)pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > Based on your description it sounds like you could do this easily in
> > iCal. �Create a different calendar for each apartment, so that you can
> > assign different colors to each one. Then schedule bookings as all-day
> > events covering the appropriate days. At a glance you'll be able to see
> > which ones are available on a date.
>
> Thank you, I have considered that. What is not clear to me is how I
> can integrate
>
> - payment status. Guests pay 25% deposit and the rest 8 weeks before.
> - generate an list automatically with relevan info for our cleaning
> lady (she likes to have a overview a month ahead when it is busy)
> - tracking income and sources of the bookings (to see where it is
> worth advertising)

OK, sounds like you need more than I was thinking.

> Do you know if Bento can do that?

I couldn't say, but I think it's very likely. There's a free trial
version available, why not give it a shot?

From: Martin Sørensen on
On Jul 13, 12:52 am, Tom Harrington <t...(a)pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net>
wrote:
> In article
> <2eaa6150-8b84-4bbe-9e93-9f732cce7...(a)k39g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
>  Martin Sørensen <santana.soren...(a)get2net.dk> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 10, 11:13 pm, Tom Harrington <t...(a)pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net>
> > wrote:
>
> > > Based on your description it sounds like you could do this easily in
> > > iCal.  Create a different calendar for each apartment, so that you can
> > > assign different colors to each one. Then schedule bookings as all-day
> > > events covering the appropriate days. At a glance you'll be able to see
> > > which ones are available on a date.
>
> > Thank you, I have considered that. What is not clear to me is how I
> > can integrate
>
> > - payment status. Guests pay 25% deposit and the rest 8 weeks before.
> > - generate an list automatically with relevan info for our cleaning
> > lady (she likes to have a overview a month ahead when it is busy)
> > - tracking income and sources of the bookings (to see where it is
> > worth advertising)
>
> OK, sounds like you need more than I was thinking.
>
> > Do you know if Bento can do that?
>
> I couldn't say, but I think it's very likely. There's a free trial
> version available, why not give it a shot?

I am still on 10.4.11 (G4 PB), getting a MBP soon.

Thanks, Martin