From: Questor on
Tom: Could you please give an example of the command line entry? I'd
like to restore one of my computers but can't find the correct command.

Questor

--->

From: SC Tom on

"Questor" <Questor(a)minimoe.com> wrote in message
> Tom: Could you please give an example of the command line entry? I'd
> like to restore one of my computers but can't find the correct command.
>
> Questor
>
> --->
>> Most 3rd party firewalls and AV/AS software will affect SR. I also run
>> ZASS, so if you do the restore from safe mode with command prompt, you
>> don't have to uninstall ZASS first. From first hand experience, any
>> AV/AS software should be shut down/disabled before running System
>> Restore. Much easier just to boot into SM w/CP and do it from there.

Here's the article:
How to start the System Restore tool by using the safe mode option with the
Command prompt in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

but the short version is:
1) Boot to Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
2) Type in c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press enter. (In Win7,
it's c:\windows\system32\rstrui.exe)
3) Follow the prompts to whatever date you want to restore to, and complete
the operation.

Pretty simple, really :-)
--
SC Tom

From: Questor on
--->

> "Questor" <Questor(a)minimoe.com> wrote in message
>> Tom: Could you please give an example of the command line entry? I'd
>> like to restore one of my computers but can't find the correct command.
>>
>> Questor
>>
>> --->
>>> Most 3rd party firewalls and AV/AS software will affect SR. I also run
>>> ZASS, so if you do the restore from safe mode with command prompt, you
>>> don't have to uninstall ZASS first. From first hand experience, any
>>> AV/AS software should be shut down/disabled before running System
>>> Restore. Much easier just to boot into SM w/CP and do it from there.
>>

> Here's the article:
> How to start the System Restore tool by using the safe mode option with the
> Command prompt in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
>
> but the short version is:
> 1) Boot to Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
> 2) Type in c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press enter. (In
> Win7, it's c:\windows\system32\rstrui.exe)
> 3) Follow the prompts to whatever date you want to restore to, and
> complete the operation.
>
> Pretty simple, really :-)

Excellent! Thanks much Tom

From: eli on
Sc Tom writes:

"From first hand experience, any AV/AS software
should be shut down/disabled before running System Restore"

Thanks Tom. The odd thing is that even when I had Zone Alarm Suite NOT to
load at startup and then rebooted, SR didnt work. I had to totally uninstal
it . Or revert to a much earlier vesrion of it. So it seems that componenets
of the ZASS continue interefering with SR even when disabled.

If what you say is true, it might not make much of a difference switching to
a different security product, since its hard to say beforehand waht that one
will do to SR. If simply disabling were enough, it wouldnt be an
incoveneience.

Running SR in Safe Mode has the drawback that the option to Undo Restore
doesnt happen when you do it that way.

Thank again:

-eli

From: SC Tom on

> --->
>>

>> "Questor" <Questor(a)minimoe.com> wrote in message
>>> Tom: Could you please give an example of the command line entry? I'd
>>> like to restore one of my computers but can't find the correct command.
>>>
>>> Questor
>>>
>>> --->
>>>

>> Here's the article:
>> How to start the System Restore tool by using the safe mode option with
>> the
>> Command prompt in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
>>
>> but the short version is:
>> 1) Boot to Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
>> 2) Type in c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press enter. (In
>> Win7, it's c:\windows\system32\rstrui.exe)
>> 3) Follow the prompts to whatever date you want to restore to, and
>> complete the operation.
>>
>> Pretty simple, really :-)
>
> Excellent! Thanks much Tom

You're welcome!