From: kraut on
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 13:37:27 -0400, "William B. Lurie"
<billurie(a)nospam.net> wrote:

>kraut wrote:
>

>> Check out Windows Update Remover at
>>
>> http://www.tech-pro.net/windows-update-remover.html
>>
>> Windows XP Update Remover provides a quick and easy way to delete the
>> backup files left behind after every Windows update and reclaim
>> valuable disk space. It can also remove Windows updates that appear to
>> be causing trouble.
>>

>Using it fine, Kraut, and thanx again. It saves 800MB that now
>doesn't need moving whenevr I do a partition operation.

Glad to be of help William B. Lurie

From: Daave on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> Daave wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:
>>
>>> What I don't like is having a 20GB-sized
>>> system that used to be a lot smaller.....and now performing
>>> partition operations takes just that much longer, moving all
>>> that stuff which I regard as having served its purpose.
>>
>> In the overall scheme of things, 20GB isn't that huge. What kind of
>> partition operations do you perform that are now taking longer than
>> they used to?
>>

> Daave, I do a system backup every week or so, and I delete an older
> backup to make room for a new one. Then I make a clone from the saved
> backup and test the clone to make sure I can always jump right back
> if I have to.

What do you mean by "system backup."

If you were to make incremental images, then the size of your partition
doesn't matter too much. Plus, you could automate the process and have
it run in the background. As long as your hard drive is large enough, a
20GB-sized system shouldn't matter much to you.

> But Shenan Stanley's exhaustive advice just received has a
> lot that I knew, a lot that I didn't, and will require a
> lot of study.

Yup, he's very thorough!

> BTW, I have all XP System Restore inoperative. I prefer a
> full bootable copy to fall back on. On a separate drive.

I like System Restore. Once in a blue moon, it has come in handy. And
it's quick and easy.

From: William B. Lurie on
Daave wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> Daave wrote:

>>> In the overall scheme of things, 20GB isn't that huge. What kind of
>>> partition operations do you perform that are now taking longer than
>>> they used to?
>>>

>> Daave, I do a system backup every week or so, and I delete an older
>> backup to make room for a new one. Then I make a clone from the saved
>> backup and test the clone to make sure I can always jump right back
>> if I have to.
>
> What do you mean by "system backup."
>
> If you were to make incremental images, then the size of your partition
> doesn't matter too much. Plus, you could automate the process and have
> it run in the background. As long as your hard drive is large enough, a
> 20GB-sized system shouldn't matter much to you.
>
>> But Shenan Stanley's exhaustive advice just received has a
>> lot that I knew, a lot that I didn't, and will require a
>> lot of study.
>
> Yup, he's very thorough!
>
>> BTW, I have all XP System Restore inoperative. I prefer a
>> full bootable copy to fall back on. On a separate drive.
>
> I like System Restore. Once in a blue moon, it has come in handy. And
> it's quick and easy.

To me, Daave, 'system backup' means Norton Save & Restore, the
successor to PowerQuest's Ghost, which makes a drive image of the
complete OS and everything else in that partition. And from that
I make a clone, a full restore on a different hard drive, which
I keep as an almost instant substitute for the Master system. I know
that there are simpler ways, that take less time and space, and
I know that I go overboard regarding 'backup'....but I just have
to be me.
From: Roy Smith on
On 6/17/2010 11:16 AM, William B. Lurie wrote:
> [...]
>>> no need for periodically, but it occurs to me that Windows
>>> Update has favored me with a zillion KB's over the years,
>>> downloaded and installed them. I wonder why I still need to
>>> store the KB's themselves. Isn't there a way to delete
>>> the accumulated KB's that have been incorporated? Such
>>> as, why not from Add/Remove Programs?
>>>
>>> I will always have a backup system that has them if they're needed.
>>> And I'm aware that 'support' for XP/SP2 is going away shortly.
>>

>> Check out Windows Update Remover at
>>
>> http://www.tech-pro.net/windows-update-remover.html
>>
>> Windows XP Update Remover provides a quick and easy way to delete the
>> backup files left behind after every Windows update and reclaim
>> valuable disk space. It can also remove Windows updates that appear to
>> be causing trouble.
>>
>> Whenever Windows Update runs to install security fixes and other
>> updates to your system, it creates a folder within the Windows folder
>> containing all the files replaced during the update. These folders
>> have names like "$NtUninstall..." and are highlighted in blue. The
>> contents of these folders are only ever needed if you uninstall an
>> update. If you are not going to uninstall an update then its backup
>> folder can be removed to save disk space. However, these folders
>> cannot (or should not) simply be deleted, because they are referred to
>> by links in the Registry.
>>
>> Manually removing these folders and their related Registry links is
>> possible, but not easy. This is where Windows XP Update Remover comes
>> in. It makes clean removal of these folders easy. Just select an
>> update from the list, read the information about it to see what it is,
>> and then click Remove backup folder. If you want to know what an
>> update does before deleting its backup folders then you can click on a
>> link to Microsoft web pages that describe the update.
>>
>> Windows XP Update Remover can uninstall Windows updates as well. This
>> is not something you will often need to do, unless you suspect that an
>> update has caused problems with your computer, so the program displays
>> a warning before allowing you to proceed with removal of an update.
>>

>> If an update has been running fine for months then it is safe to bet
>> that you will not need the backup files and it is safe to delete them.
>>
>> I use this prog and have had no problems.
>>

> Thanks for that tool, Kraut. I forgot to mention earlier that
> I was aware of the $NtUninstall series in c:\Windows but also
> that there were too many to delete manually, and then there
> would be Registry to contemplate.
>
> I'm not concerned with deleting all those already-installed
> downloads. If it should ever be a concern, I always have a recent
> clone to fall back on. What I don't like is having a 20GB-sized
> system that used to be a lot smaller.....and now performing
> partition operations takes just that much longer, moving all
> that stuff which I regard as having served its purpose.

With 1 TB hard drives costing around $100 US why not get a bigger drive?

--

Roy Smith
Windows XP Professional SP3

Timestamp: Friday, June 18, 2010 5:56:07 AM

From: William B. Lurie on
Roy Smith wrote:
> On 6/17/2010 11:16 AM, William B. Lurie wrote:
>> kraut wrote:

>>> Check out Windows Update Remover at
>>>
>>> http://www.tech-pro.net/windows-update-remover.html
>>>
>>> Windows XP Update Remover provides a quick and easy way to delete the
>>> backup files left behind after every Windows update and reclaim
>>> valuable disk space. It can also remove Windows updates that appear to
>>> be causing trouble.
>>>
>>> Whenever Windows Update runs to install security fixes and other
>>> updates to your system, it creates a folder within the Windows folder
>>> containing all the files replaced during the update. These folders
>>> have names like "$NtUninstall..." and are highlighted in blue. The
>>> contents of these folders are only ever needed if you uninstall an
>>> update. If you are not going to uninstall an update then its backup
>>> folder can be removed to save disk space. However, these folders
>>> cannot (or should not) simply be deleted, because they are referred to
>>> by links in the Registry.
>>>
>>> Manually removing these folders and their related Registry links is
>>> possible, but not easy. This is where Windows XP Update Remover comes
>>> in. It makes clean removal of these folders easy. Just select an
>>> update from the list, read the information about it to see what it is,
>>> and then click Remove backup folder. If you want to know what an
>>> update does before deleting its backup folders then you can click on a
>>> link to Microsoft web pages that describe the update.
>>>
>>> Windows XP Update Remover can uninstall Windows updates as well. This
>>> is not something you will often need to do, unless you suspect that an
>>> update has caused problems with your computer, so the program displays
>>> a warning before allowing you to proceed with removal of an update.
>>>

>>> If an update has been running fine for months then it is safe to bet
>>> that you will not need the backup files and it is safe to delete them.
>>>
>>> I use this prog and have had no problems.
>>>

>> Thanks for that tool, Kraut. I forgot to mention earlier that
>> I was aware of the $NtUninstall series in c:\Windows but also
>> that there were too many to delete manually, and then there
>> would be Registry to contemplate.
>>
>> I'm not concerned with deleting all those already-installed
>> downloads. If it should ever be a concern, I always have a recent
>> clone to fall back on. What I don't like is having a 20GB-sized
>> system that used to be a lot smaller.....and now performing
>> partition operations takes just that much longer, moving all
>> that stuff which I regard as having served its purpose.
>
> With 1 TB hard drives costing around $100 US why not get a bigger drive?

Roy, it's not a matter of money. The bigger the drive, the higher
the probability that the drive will crash (as they do, albeit
infrequently) and then I've lost even more. I remember the days
when 10 Megabytes was a large hard drive, and now my smallest one
8000 times that size. Call me old-fashioned. Tell me about a belt
and suspenders. I won't disagree.