From: Daave on
William B. Lurie wrote:
>> <snipped>
>
> FWIW, Shenan, my partition has 7.6GB Windows, 5 GB Doc and Settings,
> 4.5 GB Program Files, 3 GB '.....Files', 1 GB Norton,
> and a bunch more, smaller, as reported by running FullDisk..
>
> I looked at hiberfil.sys and it is 1.3 GB. Out of curiosity,
> I would have expected this to be a file which would be created
> on the fly when the system goes into hibernation, and gets
> deleted routinely as having served its purpose when it comes out of
> hibernation.

As long as hiberbnation is enabled, there must be a sizeable
hiberfil.sys file. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to hibernate. :-)

Even if you were to start Windows and not run any particular programs
(other than the ones that are configured to run at startup), what you
have loaded into memory is still quite sizeable!

From: Daave on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> Daave wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:

>>> Daave, I do a system backup every week or so, and I delete an older
>>> backup to make room for a new one. Then I make a clone from the
>>> saved backup and test the clone to make sure I can always jump
>>> right back if I have to.
>>
>> What do you mean by "system backup."
>>
>> If you were to make incremental images, then the size of your
>> partition doesn't matter too much. Plus, you could automate the
>> process and have it run in the background. As long as your hard
>> drive is large enough, a 20GB-sized system shouldn't matter much to
>> you.
>>> But Shenan Stanley's exhaustive advice just received has a
>>> lot that I knew, a lot that I didn't, and will require a
>>> lot of study.
>>
>> Yup, he's very thorough!
>>
>>> BTW, I have all XP System Restore inoperative. I prefer a
>>> full bootable copy to fall back on. On a separate drive.
>>
>> I like System Restore. Once in a blue moon, it has come in handy. And
>> it's quick and easy.
>>

> To me, Daave, 'system backup' means Norton Save & Restore, the
> successor to PowerQuest's Ghost, which makes a drive image of the
> complete OS and everything else in that partition. And from that
> I make a clone, a full restore on a different hard drive, which
> I keep as an almost instant substitute for the Master system. I know
> that there are simpler ways, that take less time and space, and
> I know that I go overboard regarding 'backup'....but I just have
> to be me.

Doesn't the Norton program have the ability to perform incremental
images automatically, behind the scenes? If so, the size of your system
is irrelevant as long as your hard drive is large enough.

Or do you always manually create full images? Hey, if this is how you
want to do things, it's your life. :-) At least, you have adequate and
reliable backups. :-)

From: William B. Lurie on
Daave wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> Daave wrote:

>>> What do you mean by "system backup."
>>>
>>> If you were to make incremental images, then the size of your
>>> partition doesn't matter too much. Plus, you could automate the
>>> process and have it run in the background. As long as your hard
>>> drive is large enough, a 20GB-sized system shouldn't matter much to
>>> you.
>>> Yup, he's very thorough!

>>> I like System Restore. Once in a blue moon, it has come in handy. And
>>> it's quick and easy.
>>>

>> To me, Daave, 'system backup' means Norton Save & Restore, the
>> successor to PowerQuest's Ghost, which makes a drive image of the
>> complete OS and everything else in that partition. And from that
>> I make a clone, a full restore on a different hard drive, which
>> I keep as an almost instant substitute for the Master system. I know
>> that there are simpler ways, that take less time and space, and
>> I know that I go overboard regarding 'backup'....but I just have
>> to be me.
>
> Doesn't the Norton program have the ability to perform incremental
> images automatically, behind the scenes? If so, the size of your system
> is irrelevant as long as your hard drive is large enough.
>
> Or do you always manually create full images? Hey, if this is how you
> want to do things, it's your life. :-) At least, you have adequate and
> reliable backups. :-)

I found the incremental method too confusing; it may
be available, but as we said... I gotta do it ......MYYYY WAYYYY.
From: Daave on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> Daave wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:

>>> To me, Daave, 'system backup' means Norton Save & Restore, the
>>> successor to PowerQuest's Ghost, which makes a drive image of the
>>> complete OS and everything else in that partition. And from that
>>> I make a clone, a full restore on a different hard drive, which
>>> I keep as an almost instant substitute for the Master system. I know
>>> that there are simpler ways, that take less time and space, and
>>> I know that I go overboard regarding 'backup'....but I just have
>>> to be me.
>>
>> Doesn't the Norton program have the ability to perform incremental
>> images automatically, behind the scenes? If so, the size of your
>> system is irrelevant as long as your hard drive is large enough.
>>
>> Or do you always manually create full images? Hey, if this is how you
>> want to do things, it's your life. :-) At least, you have adequate
>> and reliable backups. :-)
>>

> I found the incremental method too confusing; it may
> be available, but as we said... I gotta do it ......MYYYY WAYYYY.

Ok. Frank. :-)

But if at some point in the future you decide to look at it again, I
have a feeling you'll be able to figure it out.