From: Mike Burke on
I am looking for a systematic troubleshooting system for WindowsXP.

I am specifically looking for a way to test the integrity of the OS and be
able to isolate faults to specific subsystems.

I am looking for both an automated tool and a logical procedure. Can anyone
direct me to books, articles or tools that will do this?

Thank you,

Mike B.

From: Leonard Grey on
I would start with Google.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

From: Mike Burke on
Uhmmm, let me guess; you voted for Obama, right?

I certainly have searched google and other sources.

I can troubleshoot hardware problems in 20 questions or less. It is very
rare for a single hardware problem to take longer than 15 minutes to
diagnose. However, lots of system problems are a result of OS malfunctions,
and not relatd to the hardware. Ideally, an administrator or tech should be
able to logically troubleshoot the problem to a specific subsystem and make
corrections or restore operations. What I'm looking for is a set of design
parameters that will allow me to use something like the Kepner-Tregoe
process to determine and fix OS problems. Most of the literature I've seen,
including some great books by Charles Petzold and Mark Ruscinovich, describe
the OS in unrelated parts rather than as a system with inter-related
subsystems.

Mike B.

From: db on
you might try