From: Allan on
I have a T-Mobile G1; when I press a key to get the screen back on,
there's a little box which tells me the date/time, and the network it's
connected to (in the UK always T-Mobile: abroad when roaming, the
relevant network). I was out walking today in an area (UK!) that I
often go to where there is no T-Mobile reception. Usually, it just
shows "no service". However, today, it was picking up other networks
which were available such as Orange and Vodafone. I didn't try making a
call. The only noticeable difference was that there was a little
warming triangle showing that there was no data connectivity (presumably
because I wasn't on T-Mobile); I don't generally have Data Roaming enabled.

Has something changed?

Would I get charged for calls made when I'm showing a connection on Orange?

Just curious, really. I'll ring T-Mobile next week (when I might,
hopefully, maybe in vain) get some sense out of someone, but thought I'd
post here for any thoughts as well.

I haven't noticed an OTA update coming through. I'm not aware I have
altered any of the settings. I was in France a couple of weeks ago,
doing international roaming, but I've been abroad before with the phone,
so not much change there.