From: Mark Carver on
About to give SWMBO my unlocked Nokia 5800, because my employers are
giving me a new 'smart phone'.

She currently has an SE W810 with a T-Mobile 'SIM Only 15' SIM, on a 1
month contract.

I was going to put her SIM into the 5800. There are two 'bolt on'
options for T-Mobile; 'Unlimited Internet' (well, 1 Gig) for a fiver a
month, or 'Web-n-Walk unlimited' for 12:50/m.

The TM T&C's state that the cheaper package cannot be to for 'peer to
peer' (no problem), live messaging, or using the phone as a modem (also
no problem but anyway, how would they know ?)

I presume live messaging means no Facebook etc access, presumably bog
standard IMAP/POP/SMTP mail is OK ? Are there any other surprises I
should be aware of ?

TIA
From: JL on
Live messenger means the Windows Live Messenger (MSN) program. Facebook is
fine on both packages.

I believe that the lower package is blocked from having HSPA speeds so would
be slower. I'm not 100% sure but I think its been mentioned a few times on
here before.

--
JL

From: Mark Carver on
JL wrote:
> Live messenger means the Windows Live Messenger (MSN) program. Facebook
> is fine on both packages.
>
> I believe that the lower package is blocked from having HSPA speeds so
> would be slower. I'm not 100% sure but I think its been mentioned a few
> times on here before.

Ah, thanks for the heads up, yes, Googling that seems to be the case.

I'm keen to stay on a T-Mobile network, simply because we live next door the
TM base station, and reception of the other networks in the house is poor.

I notice that Virgin do a SIM Only package with unlimited (3GB) access for
15UKP/m, is that crippled in any way, and does it allow HSPA connections ?

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
From: JL on
I believe that Virgin's is full access and speeds.

For the average person the lower T-Mobile package will be fine and still
offers fast enough speeds to browse the web etc.

Remember that Orange and T-Mobile will be merging their network over the
next few months - when this happens you will have a good Orange signal in
your house and you might then want to consider their offerings to.