From: karthikbalaguru on
Hi,
I understand that certain parameters within TCP
protocol definition are set to different default values by
different operating systems and this inturn is used
for TCP/IP fingerprinting. But, Is there a TCP/IP fingerprint
database that tells the relation between the various
TCP protocol fields and the corresponding values
that might determine the type of Operating System ?

Which is the best fingerprinting tool and how far
is fingerprinting helpful in safeguarding against attacks ?

I searched the internet, i got only fingerprint submission
pages, but did not get a database. Any ideas ?

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru
From: Regis on
karthikbalaguru <karthikbalaguru79(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I understand that certain parameters within TCP
> protocol definition are set to different default values by
> different operating systems and this inturn is used
> for TCP/IP fingerprinting. But, Is there a TCP/IP fingerprint
> database that tells the relation between the various
> TCP protocol fields and the corresponding values
> that might determine the type of Operating System ?
>
> Which is the best fingerprinting tool and how far
> is fingerprinting helpful in safeguarding against attacks ?
>
> I searched the internet, i got only fingerprint submission
> pages, but did not get a database. Any ideas ?

nmap with the -O switch does very well, and is likely the most used
with the biggest fingerprint database.

But if there aren't many services responding, take the results with a
grain of salt.

From: karthikbalaguru on
On Dec 21 2009, 7:04 am, Regis <ord...(a)gmail.org> wrote:
> karthikbalaguru <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com> writes:
> > Hi,
> > I understand that certain parameters within TCP
> > protocol definition are set to different default values by
> > different operating systems and this inturn is used
> > for TCP/IP fingerprinting. But, Is there a TCP/IP fingerprint
> > database that tells the relation between the various
> > TCP protocol fields and the corresponding values
> > that might determine the type of Operating System ?
>
> > Which is the best fingerprinting tool and how far
> > is fingerprinting helpful in safeguarding against attacks ?
>
> > I searched the internet, i got only fingerprint submission
> > pages, but did not get a database. Any ideas ?
>
> nmap with the -O switch does very well, and is likely the most used
> with the biggest fingerprint database.

Thx for the inputs.

> But if there aren't many services responding, take the results with a
> grain of salt.

Okay !

I came across IceScan, an open source tool (GPL licenced)
and a list of tools in the below link also -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP/IP_stack_fingerprinting#Fingerprinting_tools
But, i think just as you told, nmap seems to be excellent !!

http://nmap.org/svn/nmap-os-db -> It is indeed very big.

Thx,
Karthik Balaguru
From: goarilla on
On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 21:08:24 -0800, karthikbalaguru wrote:

> On Dec 21 2009, 7:04 am, Regis <ord...(a)gmail.org> wrote:
>> karthikbalaguru <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com> writes:
>> > Hi,
>> > I understand that certain parameters within TCP protocol definition
>> > are set to different default values by different operating systems
>> > and this inturn is used for TCP/IP fingerprinting. But, Is there a
>> > TCP/IP fingerprint database that tells the relation between the
>> > various TCP protocol fields and the corresponding values that might
>> > determine the type of Operating System ?
>>
>> > Which is the best fingerprinting tool and how far is fingerprinting
>> > helpful in safeguarding against attacks ?
>>
>> > I searched the internet, i got only fingerprint submission pages, but
>> > did not get a database. Any ideas ?
>>
>> nmap with the -O switch does very well, and is likely the most used
>> with the biggest fingerprint database.
>>

> Thx for the inputs.
>
>> But if there aren't many services responding, take the results with a
>> grain of salt.
>
> Okay !
>
> I came across IceScan, an open source tool (GPL licenced) and a list of
> tools in the below link also -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP/
IP_stack_fingerprinting#Fingerprinting_tools
> But, i think just as you told, nmap seems to be excellent !!
>
> http://nmap.org/svn/nmap-os-db -> It is indeed very big.
>
> Thx,
> Karthik Balaguru

it is the best of its breed

Pages: 1
Prev: Lsas.Blaster.Keylooger virus removal
Next: SPAM