From: Chao on
I am trying to use I2C to configure TI TFP410 DVI transmitter. I put
differential clock input and VSYNC/HSYNC with the data. I suppose to get
1600x1200 image on the monitor. Basically, I just want to show a simple
image and my hardware pins configuration is like below:

DKEN (35) <--- GND
/PD (10) <--- GND
MSEN (11) <--- pull high
EDGE (09) <--- float with a serial resistor 1k
DE (02) <--- floating (since it should be ignored after I2C
configured it as disabled)
ISEL (13) <--- pull high
Vref (03) <--- VDD

I believe this chip should work with only input VSYNC/HSYNC, +/-CLOCK
and 24bits DATA. Point me out if I am wrong. Thanks.

Chao
From: Martin E. on
You need to read the datasheet for this and other devices (DVI TX/RX).

HSYNC and VSYNC are not differential clocks. These are horizontal and
vertical blanking signals, respectively. Feeding them a differential clock
will result in nothing of any use on the output.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Martin

To send private email:
email = x(a)y.com
where:
"x" = "martineu"
"y" = "pacbell.net"

From: "Sylvain Munaut SomeOne@SomeDomain.com>" on

Chao wrote:
> I am trying to use I2C to configure TI TFP410 DVI transmitter. I put
> differential clock input and VSYNC/HSYNC with the data. I suppose to get
> 1600x1200 image on the monitor. Basically, I just want to show a simple
> image and my hardware pins configuration is like below:
>
> DKEN (35) <--- GND
> /PD (10) <--- GND
> MSEN (11) <--- pull high
> EDGE (09) <--- float with a serial resistor 1k
> DE (02) <--- floating (since it should be ignored after I2C
> configured it as disabled)
> ISEL (13) <--- pull high
> Vref (03) <--- VDD
>
> I believe this chip should work with only input VSYNC/HSYNC, +/-CLOCK
> and 24bits DATA. Point me out if I am wrong. Thanks.

Does the monitor display recognize the resolution but is all blank, or
does it just display "no signal" ?

What values did you write in the I2C registers ?

Sylvain

From: Chao on
Sylvain Munaut <SomeOne(a)SomeDomain.com> wrote:
> Chao wrote:
>> I am trying to use I2C to configure TI TFP410 DVI transmitter. I put
>> differential clock input and VSYNC/HSYNC with the data. I suppose to get
>> 1600x1200 image on the monitor. Basically, I just want to show a simple
>> image and my hardware pins configuration is like below:
>>
>> DKEN (35) <--- GND
>> /PD (10) <--- GND
>> MSEN (11) <--- pull high
>> EDGE (09) <--- float with a serial resistor 1k
>> DE (02) <--- floating (since it should be ignored after I2C
>> configured it as disabled)
>> ISEL (13) <--- pull high
>> Vref (03) <--- VDD
>>
>> I believe this chip should work with only input VSYNC/HSYNC, +/-CLOCK
>> and 24bits DATA. Point me out if I am wrong. Thanks.
>
> Does the monitor display recognize the resolution but is all blank, or
> does it just display "no signal" ?
>
> What values did you write in the I2C registers ?
>

> Sylvain

The registers I set as:
CTL_1_MODE (Addr 08H) <= 0xBF
CTL_2_MODE (Addr 09H) <= 0x04
CTL_3_MODE (Addr 0AH) <= 0x90

DE_DLY (Addr 32H) <= 0x00
DE_CTL (Addr 33H) <= 0x70
DE_TOP (Addr 34H) <= 0x00

DE_CNT (Addr 37-36H) <= 0x06,0x40
DE_LIN (Addr 39-38H) <= 0x04,0xB0
H_RES (Addr 3B-3AH) <= 0x06,0x40 (1600)
V_RES (Addr 3D-3CH) <= 0x04,0xB0 (1200)

I am not sure do I need set DE_CNT, DE_LIN or not. But so far I set like
above. The screen is all blank. It's not showing "no signal". However, I
press the menu button on the monitor, it shows Resolution: 0x1(a)49Hz.
I measured the DATA+/- on all three channels, they all are high with no
sign of data or clocks.

Regards,
Chao
From: Dave Nunn on

Chao wrote:
> I am trying to use I2C to configure TI TFP410 DVI transmitter. I put
> differential clock input and VSYNC/HSYNC with the data. I suppose to get
> 1600x1200 image on the monitor. Basically, I just want to show a simple
> image and my hardware pins configuration is like below:
>
> DKEN (35) <--- GND
> /PD (10) <--- GND
> MSEN (11) <--- pull high
> EDGE (09) <--- float with a serial resistor 1k
> DE (02) <--- floating (since it should be ignored after I2C
> configured it as disabled)
> ISEL (13) <--- pull high
> Vref (03) <--- VDD
>
> I believe this chip should work with only input VSYNC/HSYNC, +/-CLOCK
> and 24bits DATA. Point me out if I am wrong. Thanks.
>
> Chao

/PD (10) <--- GND

This pin need to be pulled high otherwise the chip is powered down.

DE (02) <--- floating (since it should be ignored after I2C
> configured it as disabled)

This pin must toggle. It defines whether data or syncs are encoded in
the output as well as indicating active video. Your monitor will not
understand the signal otherwise. See the DVI spec for details.
http://www.ddwg.org

> EDGE (09) <--- float with a serial resistor 1k

Must pull high or low depending on the polarity of the clock.

BTW at 162MHz dot clock (1600x1200) the PCB layout is ultra critical
and should be run through a DVI compliance test with stressful test
patterns. Silicon Image have a test kit for this which can be used with
Tektronix TDS 6000 series scopes.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: RLOC problems
Next: Problems with NIOS II PIO interrupt