From: Noel Jones on
On 1/11/2010 10:38 AM, Dennis Putnam wrote:
> Upon further investigation, apparently mail is not moving. There seems
> to be 2 domains associated with this site but I was only asked to
> enforce TLS on one of them. That is why it appeared to be working.
> Getting back to Chris' comments, I think setting the security level to
> 'encrypt' forces everything to be TLS and that will not work. I need it
> to work as I previously described.

Postfix client TLS settings are described in
http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#client_tls

For a general-purpose MTA the main.cf setting should be "none"
or "may". To force encryption for a specific recipient
domain, see
http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#client_tls_policy

If your mail is deferred due to certificate errors, this
implies you're using a security level above "encrypt". Don't
do that unless you have the proper root certificates installed.

If you need more help, please refer to
and show us your "postconf -n" output, any related policy map
contents, and related logging.

-- Noel Jones

From: Dennis Putnam on
Hi Noel,

Thanks. I thing you pointed me in the right direction. Am I correct that the per_site table is different under 2.5.5 than pre 2.3? I had trouble getting that to work on the old server so I didn't change it for the migration. What I have is:

..somedomain.com MUST

I think it now can be a hash and should look like:

[somedomain.com] encrypt

Is that correct? I guessing the old 'MUST' is being interpreted as 'secure' in this version.

On Jan 11, 2010, at 12:02 PM, Noel Jones wrote:

> On 1/11/2010 10:38 AM, Dennis Putnam wrote:
>> Upon further investigation, apparently mail is not moving. There seems
>> to be 2 domains associated with this site but I was only asked to
>> enforce TLS on one of them. That is why it appeared to be working.
>> Getting back to Chris' comments, I think setting the security level to
>> 'encrypt' forces everything to be TLS and that will not work. I need it
>> to work as I previously described.
>
> Postfix client TLS settings are described in
> http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#client_tls
>
> For a general-purpose MTA the main.cf setting should be "none" or "may". To force encryption for a specific recipient domain, see
> http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#client_tls_policy
>
> If your mail is deferred due to certificate errors, this implies you're using a security level above "encrypt". Don't do that unless you have the proper root certificates installed.
>

> If you need more help, please refer to
> http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
> and show us your "postconf -n" output, any related policy map contents, and related logging.
>
> -- Noel Jones

Dennis Putnam
Sr. IT Systems Administrator

AIM Systems, Inc.
11675 Rainwater Dr., Suite 200
Alpharetta, GA 30009
Phone: 678-240-4112
Main Phone: 678-297-0700
FAX: 678-297-2666 or 770-576-1000
The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is strictly confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, or duplication of any part of this e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all copies, including the attachments.

From: Noel Jones on
On 1/11/2010 11:16 AM, Dennis Putnam wrote:
> Hi Noel,
>
> Thanks. I thing you pointed me in the right direction. Am I correct that
> the per_site table is different under 2.5.5 than pre 2.3? I had trouble
> getting that to work on the old server so I didn't change it for the
> migration. What I have is:
>
> .somedomain.com MUST
>
> I think it now can be a hash and should look like:
>
> [somedomain.com <http://somedomain.com>] encrypt
>
> Is that correct? I guessing the old 'MUST' is being interpreted as
> 'secure' in this version.

According to the example in
http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#client_tls_policy
the policy table should contain

somedomain.tld encrypt

To include subdomains of somedomain.tld also include
..somedomain.tld encrypt

-- Noel Jones

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:36:42AM -0600, Noel Jones wrote:

> According to the example in
> http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#client_tls_policy
> the policy table should contain
>
> somedomain.tld encrypt
>
> To include subdomains of somedomain.tld also include
>
> .somedomain.tld encrypt

And only when one's transport table or relayhost specifies a
nexthop of the form:

[gateway.example.com]

does the TLS policy table need an entry of the same form:

[gateway.example.com] encrypt|secure|fingerprint ...

For "[gateway]" nexthops there is no real difference between "secure"
and "verify", both test for the same nexthop address, unless "match"
values are specified explicitly.

In retrospect, it an interface design error to provide both levels,
just one would have been enough, with backwards compatibility for
tls_per_site provided via different "match" values for "verify" not a
different security level. Both, verify certificates using a slightly
different default set of match values. :-( The "damage" is fairly minor...

--
Viktor.

From: LuKreme on
On 11-Jan-2010, at 09:27, Dennis Putnam wrote:
> I am quite familiar with the arguments but again it is not my choice. If you want, I can give you the number of our corporate lawyers and you can try to convince them. Perhaps you will have better luck than me. :-)

I will be happy to email them daily links to publicly accessible web pages containing emails sent from that domain to a mailing list with that 'disclaimer' attached.

I will use, disseminate, distribute, and republish any post with a disclaimer on it as a matter of course.

--
INDIAN BURNS ARE NOT OUR CULTURAL HERITAGE
Bart chalkboard Ep. 3F05