From: Dennis Putnam on
I'm just getting started with version 2.5.5 and TLS is different that my previous version. I have everything thing working except some email will not go out because of the error "delivery temporarily suspended: Server certificate not trusted." What parameter do I have wrong that requires trusted certificates? I want to enforce TLS but I don't care what certificate the receiver uses. Thanks.

Dennis Putnam
Sr. IT Systems Administrator

AIM Systems, Inc.
11675 Rainwater Dr., Suite 200
Alpharetta, GA 30009
Phone: 678-240-4112
Main Phone: 678-297-0700
FAX: 678-297-2666 or 770-576-1000
The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is strictly confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, or duplication of any part of this e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all copies, including the attachments.

From: Dennis Putnam on
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Please see embedded comments.

On Jan 11, 2010, at 11:11 AM, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 11:04 -0500, Dennis Putnam wrote:
>> I want to enforce TLS but I don't care what certificate the receiver
>> uses. Thanks.
> Apart from the fact that enforcing TLS with SMTP is usually a bad idea,
> setting the
> smtp_tls_security_level = encrypt
> should usually do what you mean, enforce TLS with the remote SMTP
> server, but accept untrusted certs or even those with a wrong name.

I don't get to choose, I just have to do it. How these parameters work is still a little confusing to me. I have smtpd and smtp security levels set to 'may.' What I am trying to do it set up opportunistic TLS except for specific hosts that I need to enforce (smtp_tls_per_site). What I noticed is that this one site was using Thawte as the signing authority. I tried adding their root certificate to my config and now the error has changed to a warning about untrusted TLS connection but the mail seems to be moving now. Did I stumble on to a fix or am I still missing something?

>> The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is
>> strictly confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
>> dissemination, distribution, or duplication of any part of this e-mail
>> or any attachment is prohibited. If you are not the intended
>> recipient, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all
>> copies, including the attachments.
> There is (at least in most countries) no legal ground for so called
> "disclaimers".... and they're quite stupid and annoying when sending
> them to public mailing lists.

I am quite familiar with the arguments but again it is not my choice. If you want, I can give you the number of our corporate lawyers and you can try to convince them. Perhaps you will have better luck than me. :-)

From: Dennis Putnam on
Upon further investigation, apparently mail is not moving. There seems to be 2 domains associated with this site but I was only asked to enforce TLS on one of them. That is why it appeared to be working. Getting back to Chris' comments, I think setting the security level to 'encrypt' forces everything to be TLS and that will not work. I need it to work as I previously described.

From: Noah Sheppard on
> >> Apart from the fact that enforcing TLS with SMTP is usually a bad idea,
> >> [..]

Why is TLS w/ SMTP a bad idea?

--
Noah Sheppard
Assistant Computer Resource Manager

From: /dev/rob0 on
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:53:35AM -0500, Noah Sheppard wrote:
[attribution to Chris is missing]

> Why is TLS w/ SMTP a bad idea?

TLS with SMTP is a fine idea.

*Enforcing* TLS with SMTP is usually a bad idea. Many sites might not
support it, and if you require TLS, you cannot get their mail nor
send to them.