From: Carlos Williams on
I have TLS / SASL working on my email server. My question is in my
main.cf on Postfix, I have the following parameter for TLS:

smtpd_tls_security_level = may

In my VIM editor, every parameter except the one listed above is in
color. The above parameter is just in white. I assumed that this was
because the parameter was not being properly recognized via Postfix. I
removed it and broke Postfix so I then knew this parameter was
significant and being utilized via my Postfix server:

[root(a)mail ~]# postconf | grep smtpd_tls_security_level
smtpd_tls_security_level = may

My question is why is it not in color like all the other Postfix
parameters in VIM? And lastly, do I need this parameter in my main.cf:

smtp_use_tls = yes

or is the above the old parameter that is no longer used via Postfix
2.3+? I am thinking the later is a redundant entry for the first
parameter I listed above.

Below is my Postconf -n:

[root(a)mail ~]# postconf -n
address_verify_sender = $double_bounce_sender
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/etc/mailman/aliases
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
content_filter = amavisfeed:[127.0.0.1]:10024
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
home_mailbox = Maildir/
html_directory = no
inet_interfaces = all
mail_owner = postfix
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
message_size_limit = 20480000
mydestination = $myhostname, $mydomain, mail.$mydomain
mydomain = mydomain.tld
myhostname = mail.mydomain.tld
mynetworks = $config_directory/mynetworks
myorigin = $mydomain
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/README_FILES
recipient_delimiter = +
relay_domains =
setgid_group = postdrop
smtp_use_tls = yes
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP
smtpd_delay_reject = yes
smtpd_helo_required = yes
smtpd_helo_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,
permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname,
reject_invalid_helo_hostname, permit
permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_pipelining,
reject_non_fqdn_recipient, reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
reject_unauth_destination, reject_unlisted_recipient,
check_policy_service unix:postgrey/socket, check_sender_access
hash:/etc/postfix/sender_access, reject_rbl_client
zen.spamhaus.org, reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net, permit
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_sender_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,
permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_non_fqdn_sender,
reject_unknown_sender_domain,
reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname, permit
smtpd_tls_CAfile = /path/to/my/intermediate.crt
smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /path/to/.crt
smtpd_tls_key_file = /path/to/.key
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
smtpd_tls_security_level = may
smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:/var/spool/postfix/smtpd_tls_cache
smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

From: Brian Evans - Postfix List on
On 12/21/2009 10:58 AM, Carlos Williams wrote:
> smtpd_tls_security_level = may
>
> In my VIM editor, every parameter except the one listed above is in
> color. The above parameter is just in white. I assumed that this was
> because the parameter was not being properly recognized via Postfix. I
> removed it and broke Postfix so I then knew this parameter was
> significant and being utilized via my Postfix server:
>
> [root(a)mail ~]# postconf | grep smtpd_tls_security_level
> smtpd_tls_security_level = may
>
> or is the above the old parameter that is no longer used via Postfix
> 2.3+? I am thinking the later is a redundant entry for the first
> parameter I listed above.

Your VIM syntax highlighter is out of date.
Trust postconf.

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:58:40AM -0500, Carlos Williams wrote:

> I have TLS / SASL working on my email server. My question is in my
> main.cf on Postfix, I have the following parameter for TLS:
>
> smtpd_tls_security_level = may
>
> In my VIM editor, every parameter except the one listed above is in
> color. The above parameter is just in white.

To fix this problem, disable syntax coloring in VIM. Monochrome ASCII
text works equally well in main.cf.

> I assumed that this was
> because the parameter was not being properly recognized via Postfix.

No, it is because VIM syntax highlighting does not recognize it. VIM
is not Postfix.

> My question is why is it not in color like all the other Postfix
> parameters in VIM?

Ask on the VIM list.

> And lastly, do I need this parameter in my main.cf:
>
> smtp_use_tls = yes

No, you should stop setting it. It is obsolete, and superceded by
smtpd_tls_security_level.

> smtpd_tls_CAfile = /path/to/my/intermediate.crt

Not needed, if you *append* the intermediate certificate to the server
certificate file.

> smtpd_tls_cert_file = /path/to/.crt
> smtpd_tls_key_file = /path/to/.key
> smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
> smtpd_tls_security_level = may
> smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:/var/spool/postfix/smtpd_tls_cache
> smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
> tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

Looks good. The key file should be owned by "root", mode 0600 or 0400.

--
Viktor.

From: /dev/rob0 on
On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:09:47AM -0500, Victor Duchovni wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:58:40AM -0500, Carlos Williams wrote:
> > And lastly, do I need this parameter in my main.cf:
> >
> > smtp_use_tls = yes
>
> No, you should stop setting it. It is obsolete, and superceded by
> smtpd_tls_security_level.

Oops, perhaps the OP needed smtp_tls_security_level to replace this?

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:53:57AM -0600, /dev/rob0 wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:09:47AM -0500, Victor Duchovni wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:58:40AM -0500, Carlos Williams wrote:
> > > And lastly, do I need this parameter in my main.cf:
> > >
> > > smtp_use_tls = yes
> >
> > No, you should stop setting it. It is obsolete, and superceded by
> > smtpd_tls_security_level.
>
> Oops, perhaps the OP needed smtp_tls_security_level to replace this?

Yes, sorry, the rest of OP's message was about smtpd(8), failed to notice
this was smtp(8). Yes:

smtp_tls_security_level = may

--
Viktor.