From: Elmo on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 14:47:23 +0000, DA wrote:
> A bit of a strange choice of material for *traveling* shaving mirror

We must be talking about different things because these two CDROM-sized
mirrors are extremely light - you can barley feel them in your hands. No
mirror I've ever seen in my life is this light. Or as indestructible.

As for traveling, the two platters glued together are really shiny and
extremely light and they don't break when I drop them and they're exactly
the right oblong size (when glued together offset) for a face ... so it's a
PERFECT traveling shaving mirror IMHO.

I've had glass mirrors (which obviously shatter); I've had plastic mirrors
(which scratch too easily and aren't all that reflective; and I've had even
used nicely handled old round concave (or are they convex?)
Japanese-motorcycle mirrors (which eventually broke due to the glass).

Most store-bought mirrors have more "frame" in them than mirror, whereas
these mirrors are 100% mirror without any frame or handle to have to carry.
Many store-bought mirrors come apart after repeated use in the shower (I
always shave in the shower).

So far, I can't think of a more perfect traveling shower-shaving mirror ...
as long as the TSA will let it through.

Based on the responsese so far, I'm guessing, since the material is non
magnetic, and it's certainly not glass, that it must be extremely highly
polished aluminum.

What are these polished aluminum platters used for anyway (in the HDD)?
From: Rod Speed on
Elmo wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 14:47:23 +0000, DA wrote:
>> A bit of a strange choice of material for *traveling* shaving mirror
>
> We must be talking about different things because these two
> CDROM-sized mirrors are extremely light - you can barley feel them in
> your hands. No mirror I've ever seen in my life is this light. Or as
> indestructible.
>
> As for traveling, the two platters glued together are really shiny and
> extremely light and they don't break when I drop them and they're
> exactly the right oblong size (when glued together offset) for a face
> ... so it's a PERFECT traveling shaving mirror IMHO.
>
> I've had glass mirrors (which obviously shatter); I've had plastic
> mirrors (which scratch too easily and aren't all that reflective; and
> I've had even used nicely handled old round concave (or are they
> convex?) Japanese-motorcycle mirrors (which eventually broke due to
> the glass).
>
> Most store-bought mirrors have more "frame" in them than mirror,
> whereas these mirrors are 100% mirror without any frame or handle to
> have to carry. Many store-bought mirrors come apart after repeated
> use in the shower (I always shave in the shower).
>
> So far, I can't think of a more perfect traveling shower-shaving
> mirror ... as long as the TSA will let it through.
>
> Based on the responsese so far, I'm guessing, since the material is
> non magnetic, and it's certainly not glass, that it must be extremely
> highly polished aluminum.
>
> What are these polished aluminum platters used for anyway (in the HDD)?

They have a very thin oxide coating on them for the magnetic surface.

They are so highly polished because they need to be very smooth since
the heads fly so close to the surface so the magnetic domains are as
small as possible so the bit density is as high as possible.

From: Elmo on
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 07:30:51 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

> They are so highly polished because they need to be very smooth since
> the heads fly so close to the surface so the magnetic domains are as
> small as possible so the bit density is as high as possible.

I thought they were reflective mirrors for the lasers or something.

I didn't realize these were the actual magnetic material. They are soooo
smooth and shiny. I expected concentric circular lines of something or
other like the bottom of a CDROM or DVD once it has been burned.

These platters are so polished that you can't make out a single bit of
"thin oxide" coating. Shinier than any metal or plastic mirror I've ever
seen and more indestructible than glass.

In short, they're the perfect wet-shower traveling mirror if TSA will allow
them through.

From: Rod Speed on
Elmo wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote

>> They are so highly polished because they need to be very smooth
>> since the heads fly so close to the surface so the magnetic domains
>> are as small as possible so the bit density is as high as possible.

> I thought they were reflective mirrors for the lasers or something.

Nope, there are no lasers inside those hard drives.

> I didn't realize these were the actual magnetic material. They are soooo
> smooth and shiny. I expected concentric circular lines of something or
> other like the bottom of a CDROM or DVD once it has been burned.

Nope, there are no visible lines unless the drive has had a head crash.

> These platters are so polished that you can't make out a single bit of
> "thin oxide" coating. Shinier than any metal or plastic mirror I've ever seen

Yes, thats the result of that very perfect surface.

> and more indestructible than glass.

Some were in fact made of glass.

> In short, they're the perfect wet-shower traveling mirror if TSA will allow them through.

I wouldnt like to predict what some trained ape will make of them.

From: Coffee's For Closers on
In article <hvr8q8$lf$1(a)tioat.net>, dcdraftworks(a)Use-Author-
Supplied-Address.invalid says...

> What are these polished aluminum platters used for
> anyway (in the HDD)?

That's where the data is stored. In little magnetic spots.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/