From: millerdp on
Earlier today when I was watching a DVD the picture on the TV screen
suddenly scrunched up -- the entire picture was compressed into the top
half of the TV screen. I turned the DVD player off and went to a TV
channel but the picture stayed scrunched up in the top half of the
screen. I even unplugged the DVD player from the back of the TV, and
the results were still the same. It is a Samsung 27 inch TV, model name
is TXE2546. Any ideas?

From: sofie on
millerdp:
Ideas? ..... yes, definitely there is a fault with the vertical deflection
circuitry or associated circuitry. Could be bad electrolytics, bad
semiconductors, etc, etc.
If you don't have test equipment to dust off and the experience and
knowledge to do this type of repair (as indicated by your original post and
question) then the best suggestion that you can get is to TAKE it to a
service shop for a proper and safe repair, or at the very least, a repair
cost estimate so you can make an intelligent repair decision with facts
instead of Internet or telephone guesses. Usually this is not a real
expensive repair so if the television has had a good, sharp picture right
before the symptoms you described then it would most likely be worth
fixing.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

From: Tom MacIntyre on
On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 15:43:10 -0800, "sofie" <sofie(a)olypen.com> wrote:

>millerdp:
>Ideas? ..... yes, definitely there is a fault with the vertical deflection
>circuitry or associated circuitry. Could be bad electrolytics, bad
>semiconductors, etc, etc.
>If you don't have test equipment to dust off and the experience and
>knowledge to do this type of repair (as indicated by your original post and
>question) then the best suggestion that you can get is to TAKE it to a
>service shop for a proper and safe repair, or at the very least, a repair
>cost estimate so you can make an intelligent repair decision with facts
>instead of Internet or telephone guesses. Usually this is not a real
>expensive repair so if the television has had a good, sharp picture right
>before the symptoms you described then it would most likely be worth
>fixing.

In fact Dan, I used to work for a Samsung shop, and there's an upgrade
kit for that, if I remember correctly.

Tom
From: sofie on
Tom:
Yes, you are quite correct about the upgrade kit. Before it is installed
the faulty circuitry must first be identified and fixed or some of the new
parts in the kit may be toast.
Dan
\