From: JCO on
I'd like an opinion as to what is most popular or easier to do. I have an
application that needs modification. I will take the main display and put
it into a TabControl or on a CPropertyPage so that the person can select up
to 3 tabs to allow 3-different types of entries before my application
crunches the output.

I'm trying to decide if I should use CPropertyPage & CPropertySheets method
or the Tab Control (OCX). I've worked with the first option before and I
now have an example of the second option. What's your thoughts as to the
advantages or disadvantages of these two methods.

Thanks in advance.

From: Scott McPhillips [MVP] on
"JCO" <someone(a)somewhere.com> wrote in message
> I'd like an opinion as to what is most popular or easier to do. I have an
> application that needs modification. I will take the main display and put
> it into a TabControl or on a CPropertyPage so that the person can select
> up to 3 tabs to allow 3-different types of entries before my application
> crunches the output.
>
> I'm trying to decide if I should use CPropertyPage & CPropertySheets
> method or the Tab Control (OCX). I've worked with the first option before
> and I now have an example of the second option. What's your thoughts as
> to the advantages or disadvantages of these two methods.
>
> Thanks in advance.

With CPropertyPage/CPropertySheet you get a dialog that is filled with a tab
control. If that is what you want then using these classes is way easier
than working with the tab control itself.

You need to work with the tab control directly only if you need it to be a
part of a larger window. In that case, you pretty much have to reimplement
CPropertyPage to make the pages on the tab control.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

From: JCO on
It seems to me that either can be used in your example (unless I
misunderstood your comments).
In my case, I'm not doing a wizard. The tabs will give the user 3-different
types of inputs at which a result window displays information. The user of
this application would never use all 3-tabs at one time. The user must
select which tab to use based on the Customer & Type of Data to be entered.

From: Scott McPhillips [MVP] on
> It seems to me that either can be used in your example (unless I
> misunderstood your comments).
> In my case, I'm not doing a wizard. The tabs will give the user
> 3-different types of inputs at which a result window displays information.
> The user of this application would never use all 3-tabs at one time. The
> user must select which tab to use based on the Customer & Type of Data to
> be entered.

If CPropertyPage & CPropertySheets give you what you want then that is
definitely the easier way to go. It should take only a few minutes to build
a little test project and find out.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]