From: Mike Horton on
A little background.... I work at a college and we've always redirected our
user's desktop and My Documents to another drive letter on the computer (D:).
When the next user logs in our login script deletes the directories and
recreates them for the new user. We do this so that student's can store files
under their profile when exams run.

Under XP the D: drive is/was a FAT32 drive and we just used a file system
object to delete the files and folders.

Under Windows 7 you have to redirect directories to a location that can be
indexed which a FAT 32 drive can't be. However under NTFS when the first user
logs in there redirected folders are created as you'd expect. However when a
new user logs in the previous directories can't be deleted because the new
user isn't the owner of directories.

What I'm looking for is a way (in the login script) for either the new user
to take ownership of the dirs/files or for the system to so that they can be
deleted/recreated.
From: Al Dunbar on

"Mike Horton" <MikeHorton(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> A little background.... I work at a college and we've always redirected
> our
> user's desktop and My Documents to another drive letter on the computer
> (D:).
> When the next user logs in our login script deletes the directories and
> recreates them for the new user. We do this so that student's can store
> files
> under their profile when exams run.
>
> Under XP the D: drive is/was a FAT32 drive and we just used a file system
> object to delete the files and folders.
>
> Under Windows 7 you have to redirect directories to a location that can be
> indexed which a FAT 32 drive can't be. However under NTFS when the first
> user
> logs in there redirected folders are created as you'd expect. However when
> new user logs in the previous directories can't be deleted because the new
> user isn't the owner of directories.
>
> What I'm looking for is a way (in the login script) for either the new
> user
> to take ownership of the dirs/files or for the system to so that they can
> be
> deleted/recreated.

Change your script so that it modifies the permissions on the folders it
creates such that "everyone" (or perhaps just "authenticated users") can
delete them.

I don't quite understand why you do this. If desktop and my documents were
left unredirected, they would be able to store files there and access them
after someone else has used the same computer. Or you could redirect to a
server share using a folder with the same name as the account.

/Al

From: Al Dunbar on

From: Mike Horton on
Everyone already has full permissions but it's because of the original user
owns the redirected directories they can't be deleted (even when I log in as
the local admin I have to take ownership before I can delete them).

As for your question about why we do this..... We do this for exactly the
reason you state, we don't want students to be able to access the files once
they've logged off the computer. They have other network storage areas (that
we can control access to during exams).

I see where I caused confusion in my initial post. I intended to state that
"We do this so student's CAN'T store files under their profile when exams
run.". Proof reading error on my part.