From: Malcolm on
OS:windows xp professional version 2002 service pack 2

I recently had problems with my pc, ran chkdsk(or whatever the program is
that runs before windows starts), got a lot of errors and eventually had the
drive replaced with a new one and what i thought was the latest version of xp
pro(see OS at top). However this version does not show my minimized
programs, nor does it allow me to move the task bar to the side, top etc. If
i dont have the latest version(im gonna go kill the pc guy) can I download it
and install or do i have to go back to the shop and have it installed by the
pc guy(who i will still kill )?

Thanks in advance

From: Terry R. on
The date and time was 1/12/2008 11:12 AM, and on a whim, Malcolm pounded
out on the keyboard:

> OS:windows xp professional version 2002 service pack 2
>
> I recently had problems with my pc, ran chkdsk(or whatever the program is
> that runs before windows starts), got a lot of errors and eventually had the
> drive replaced with a new one and what i thought was the latest version of xp
> pro(see OS at top). However this version does not show my minimized
> programs, nor does it allow me to move the task bar to the side, top etc. If
> i dont have the latest version(im gonna go kill the pc guy) can I download it
> and install or do i have to go back to the shop and have it installed by the
> pc guy(who i will still kill )?
>
> Thanks in advance

Hi Malcolm,

Right click on the Taskbar and click on "Lock Taskbar" (it should have a
check next to it). Now it should be unlocked and you can drag it to
another location. Once it's where you want it, right click on it and
click on "Lock Taskbar" again to lock it.

Then right click on the Taskbar and select "Properties". Check the
Taskbar tab and Start Menu tab for items that may or may not be checked
to your liking.

Where are you expecting your "minimized programs" to display? On the
Taskbar? Whether or not a program is minimized, there is usually a
program selector on the Taskbar. Or do you mean the System tray (the
indented area where the time shows if you have it selected)?

Open Control Panel and open Add/Remove Programs. Check the box that
says Show updates, and verify that the OS is current with updates (there
have already been updates released for this month that should show at
the bottom).

--
Terry R.

***Reply Note***
From: Nepatsfan on
"Malcolm" <Malcolm(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OS:windows xp professional version 2002 service pack 2
>
> I recently had problems with my pc, ran chkdsk(or whatever the program is
> that runs before windows starts), got a lot of errors and eventually had the
> drive replaced with a new one and what i thought was the latest version of xp
> pro(see OS at top). However this version does not show my minimized
> programs, nor does it allow me to move the task bar to the side, top etc. If
> i dont have the latest version(im gonna go kill the pc guy) can I download it
> and install or do i have to go back to the shop and have it installed by the
> pc guy(who i will still kill )?
>
> Thanks in advance

See if this helps with the programs not minimizing to Taskbar problem.

Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP
Taskbar Repair Plus Tool

If you'd rather not download the program, you can run the
script available here.

Line 240, left hand column, Programs Aren't Minimized in
Taskbar

Repositioning the Taskbar is accomplished by right clicking on it, unchecking
Lock the Taskbar, and dragging it to where you want it located. Recheck Lock the
Taskbar when you're done so you don't inadvertently move it later.

Note: The version of XP Pro that you list at the top of your question is the
latest. If you paid for a new copy of XP, you should have received an
installation CD along with the Certificate of Authenticity and 25 digit CD key.
The COA and key may be on a sticker attached to your computer.

Just to be on the safe side you might want to go to Windows Update and check for
any updates. It also wouldn't hurt to go to this site to see whether he
installed a legitimate copy of Windows.

Click on the Validate Windows button.
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.aspx?displaylang=en

Good luck