From: Georgios Petasis on
Hi all,

I am trying to wrap an app for OSX, but some packages seem to not exist.
Any ideas?

For example, searching with the keyword "tdbc" in packages, I get only
"tdbc::sqlite3", but not the plain "tdbc".
Also, tdom seems to also not been available, but doing package require
tdom in tclsh8.6 returns 0.8.3.

Any ideas why?

[BTW, Tk applications seem extremely ugly under OSX. buttons seem, to
have "square" around, and ttk ones show only the label, skipping images?
And there are some "white" areas...]

George
From: Torsten Berg on
Hi,

> I am trying to wrap an app for OSX, but some packages seem to not exist.
> Any ideas?

I always use the "bundle" approach, which works nicely:

http://www.codebykevin.com/opensource/tutorial.html

and

http://wiki.tcl.tk/12945

> For example, searching with the keyword "tdbc" in packages, I get only
> "tdbc::sqlite3", but not the plain "tdbc".
> Also, tdom seems to also not been available, but doing package require
> tdom in tclsh8.6 returns 0.8.3.
>
> Any ideas why?

This depends on the Tcl distribution you use. Do you have ActiveTcl or
the one distributed by Apple with the operating system (and what MacOS
X version are you working on)?

> [BTW, Tk applications seem extremely ugly under OSX. buttons seem, to
> have "square" around, and ttk ones show only the label, skipping images?
> And there are some "white" areas...]

Hm, can you post an image? I have wrapped several apps under Leopard
and Snow Leopard using Tcl 8.5 and 8.6 and find them quite
appealing ... One thing to remember is the background of the toplevel
window. This is not themed so you need to adjust this. What I do is to
use one ttk::frame under the toplevel and all other widgets then go
into that frame. Thus,the background is right and you will not see
these borders. And I think that I can remember the ttk::butto on the
Mac doesn't do pictures because this is how the Mac works, but I may
be wrong here ...

Torsten
From: Kroc on
On 15 juil, 12:06, Georgios Petasis <peta...(a)iit.demokritos.gr> wrote:
> I am trying to wrap an app for OSX, but some packages seem to not exist.
> Any ideas?

By default on Snow Leopard there is no package at all:

$ /usr/bin/tclsh
% lsort -unique [package names]
Tcl tcl::tommath

> Also, tdom seems to also not been available, but doing package require
> tdom in tclsh8.6 returns 0.8.3.

I don't know where you found tclsh 8.6, I only have 8.4 and 8.5:

$ ls -l /usr/bin/tclsh*
/usr/bin/tclsh -> tclsh8.5
/usr/bin/tclsh-64 -> tclsh8.5-64
/usr/bin/tclsh8.4 -> ../../System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/
Versions/8.4/tclsh8.4
/usr/bin/tclsh8.5 -> ../../System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/
Versions/8.5/tclsh8.5

If you want to wrap something for OS X, you should use tclkit and put
everything you need inside then make a bundle.app with this starpack.

--
David Zolli
From: Georgios Petasis on
στις 15/7/2010 13:06, O/H Georgios Petasis έγραψε:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to wrap an app for OSX, but some packages seem to not exist.
> Any ideas?
>
> For example, searching with the keyword "tdbc" in packages, I get only
> "tdbc::sqlite3", but not the plain "tdbc".
> Also, tdom seems to also not been available, but doing package require
> tdom in tclsh8.6 returns 0.8.3.
>
> Any ideas why?
>
> [BTW, Tk applications seem extremely ugly under OSX. buttons seem, to
> have "square" around, and ttk ones show only the label, skipping images?
> And there are some "white" areas...]
>
> George

I am having ActiveTcl 8.6 beta on Leopard (not snow).
And the latest TDK (5.2).

George
From: Kevin Walzer on
Hi George,

> For example, searching with the keyword "tdbc" in packages, I get only
> "tdbc::sqlite3", but not the plain "tdbc".
> Also, tdom seems to also not been available, but doing package require
> tdom in tclsh8.6 returns 0.8.3.
>
> Any ideas why?

That depends on your auto_path. If you're AS's tools + teapot, I'm not
sure how this is managed on the Mac, as I don't use those tools.
Generally, the auto_path for user-installed stuff is /Library/Tcl.

> [BTW, Tk applications seem extremely ugly under OSX. buttons seem, to
> have "square" around, and ttk ones show only the label, skipping images?
> And there are some "white" areas...]

The "square" style appears if you are using a Tk button with an image;
it also show up, I believe, if the width and height change (you used to
see really weird, huge "Aqua-style" buttons in older versions of Tk-Aqua).

ttk buttons don't skip images, or they shouldn't, but ttk buttons on the
Mac do have trouble with images if the button state is disabled--in some
versions of Tk they will show up as white squares. This is a known issue
(see SF bug tracker) with no easy fix--the workaround is to define a
custom, grayed-out image for the disabled state in the ttk style.

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin