From: Ralph on
Are there any differences when creating a local temp table using the syntax
create table #temp
create table tempdb..#temp

thanks in advance

Ralph

From: Tom Cooper on
Yes,

create table #temp
will create a local temporary table in tempdb that can only be accessed by
your connection.

create table tempdb..#temp
is illegal and will give you a syntax error.

Tom

From: Ralph on

"Tom Cooper" <tomcooper(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> Yes,
>
> create table #temp
> will create a local temporary table in tempdb that can only be accessed by
> your connection.
>
> create table tempdb..#temp
> is illegal and will give you a syntax error.
>
> Tom
>
> "Ralph" <ralphd42(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Are there any differences when creating a local temp table using the
>> syntax create table #temp
>> to create table tempdb..#temp
>>

>> thanks in advance
>>
>> Ralph

Thanks Tom small error on my part.
I met create table tempdb..temp
Without the #

From: Tom Cooper on

> "Tom Cooper" <tomcooper(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Yes,
>>
>> create table #temp
>> will create a local temporary table in tempdb that can only be accessed
>> by your connection.
>>
>> create table tempdb..#temp
>> is illegal and will give you a syntax error.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> "Ralph" <ralphd42(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Are there any differences when creating a local temp table using the
>>> syntax create table #temp
>>> to create table tempdb..#temp
>>>

>>> thanks in advance
>>>
>>> Ralph
>
> Thanks Tom small error on my part.
> I met create table tempdb..temp
> Without the #

create table tempdb..temp

will create a permananent table in temp db. Unlike local temporary tables,
it can be accessed by other connections. Unlike either local or global
temporary tables which go away when the creating connection closes and no
other connection is using them, a table created explicitely in tempdb will
live until the table is either explicitly DROPed, or the SQL Server service
is stopped and restarted. (The reason it goes away when the service is
stopped and restarted is that that will drop and recreate the whole tempdb
database). But except for the fact that it will go away when the service
stops and restarts, it is just like any normal permananent table you create.

Tom

From: Ralph on

> "Ralph" <ralphd42(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Tom Cooper" <tomcooper(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Yes,
>>>
>>> create table #temp
>>> will create a local temporary table in tempdb that can only be accessed
>>> by your connection.
>>>
>>> create table tempdb..#temp
>>> is illegal and will give you a syntax error.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>
>>> "Ralph" <ralphd42(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> Thanks Tom small error on my part.
>> I met create table tempdb..temp
>> Without the #
>>

> create table tempdb..temp
>
> will create a permananent table in temp db. Unlike local temporary
> tables, it can be accessed by other connections. Unlike either local or
> global temporary tables which go away when the creating connection closes
> and no other connection is using them, a table created explicitely in
> tempdb will live until the table is either explicitly DROPed, or the SQL
> Server service is stopped and restarted. (The reason it goes away when
> the service is stopped and restarted is that that will drop and recreate
> the whole tempdb database). But except for the fact that it will go away
> when the service stops and restarts, it is just like any normal
> permananent table you create.
>
> Tom

Tom,
Thank you very much for that explanation.
it makes complete sense and has clarified a few issues I have been dealing
with in a few stored procs.