From: Georg Bauhaus on
Recently, more and more WWW writers writing about programming
seem to prefer the phrase "temporal variable" to "temporary
variable", for exmple, in the Ada wikibook. I don't know
English well, but I had thought (and have checked) that
"temporal" is not the same as "temporary". It is either

(a) "temporal", the opposite of "spiritual" (that which is
not eternal like the spirit, but physical), or

(b) an adjective next to dimension as in "temporal and spatial
dimensions of the universe", or

(c) referring to temple, a word of cranial anatomy. See the
"temporal line" in
http://www.face-and-emotion.com/dataface/physiognomy/cranium.jsp

Translations of "temporary" into the dialects of Latin
do not seem to justify "temporal" for "temporary" either.
On the contrary. Neither do these sources, AFAICT:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/temporal
http://www.wordreference.com/enru/temporary

There is also temporal logic which does not seem to focus
on temporarily used variables but on the logic of
when things are true.

Should there be corrections made to the Ada wiki book, then?
E.g. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Errors

(Where does this use of "temporal" with "variable" come from?
It seems wrong, really? Guesswork? Mechanic use of grammar?
Or do people start checking the use of phrases with the help of
the number of occurrences of the phrase in Google search?
If so, Google might leed to an unfortunate self-fulfilling
prophecy.
(I am guilty of creating misunderstandings myself when trying
to speak English but all the more I would not want this to
be an excuse for not trying to avoid whatever mistake there is.))
From: Jeffrey R. Carter on
Georg Bauhaus wrote:
> Recently, more and more WWW writers writing about programming
> seem to prefer the phrase "temporal variable" to "temporary
> variable", for exmple, in the Ada wikibook. I don't know
> English well, but I had thought (and have checked) that
> "temporal" is not the same as "temporary". It is either

I haven't encountered this, but I agree that it's probably wrong. "Temporal" in
SW usually means "of or pertaining to time"; that's its meaning in "temporal
logic", for example. So you might refer to a variable that holds a time-related
value a temporal variable, but that's a stretch.

A temporary variable is also related to time: It's a variable that only exists
for a short period of time. That is perhaps where the confusion arises.

The use in the link you posted should be "temporary".

--
Jeff Carter
"I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were
From: Alex R. Mosteo on
Georg Bauhaus wrote:

> Recently, more and more WWW writers writing about programming
> seem to prefer the phrase "temporal variable" to "temporary
> variable", for exmple, in the Ada wikibook. I don't know
> English well, but I had thought (and have checked) that
> "temporal" is not the same as "temporary". It is either
>
> (a) "temporal", the opposite of "spiritual" (that which is
> not eternal like the spirit, but physical), or
>
> (b) an adjective next to dimension as in "temporal and spatial
> dimensions of the universe", or
>
> (c) referring to temple, a word of cranial anatomy. See the
> "temporal line" in
> http://www.face-and-emotion.com/dataface/physiognomy/cranium.jsp
>
> Translations of "temporary" into the dialects of Latin
> do not seem to justify "temporal" for "temporary" either.
> On the contrary. Neither do these sources, AFAICT:
>
> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/temporal
> http://www.wordreference.com/enru/temporary

In Spanish, "temporal" is a proper translation for "temporary". The
authoritative source[1] lists your "temporal(en)" meaning as first one,
while "temporary" would be the second one:

[1] http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltConsulta?TIPO_BUS=3&LEMA=temporal

You have right there a false friend going around, perhaps, adding to the
noise.

One could argue that in Spanish, "transitoria" is a more precise term (and
indeed the first meaning /is/ "temporary"). But it is longer, and I have
never heard it either in class or in work. "Variable temporal" is the
standard form over here.

Google speaks:

"Variable temporal" 42.000 results.
"Variable transitoria" 72 results.

From: Georg Bauhaus on
Thanks to you and Jeffrey Carter for confirming
and for pointers. Not gone from Google
caches but this state should be temporary.