From: jonte on
We have a Terminal Service server, w2k3 sp1 (I know we should upgrade to
sp2) and we have installed 12 + 6 2003 TS per device CALs, a total of 18.
Now we can see in the TS license manager that 15 of them are used, 3 should
be available or at least in 90 days !? But it says that none are available
and when we try to connect with a XP sp3 client, the client gets a temporary
license and when we try to connect from a Windows CE client, it would not
connect at all.
In the XP case there should not be any problem because it can wait up to 90
days to get a permanet license and it works until then but the Windows CE
client does not work at all.
Is this correct ? Can we release the 3 we don't see ? Why doesn't the CE
client work at all ?

Please, I need some help !

Sincerely

\\Jonas B

From: Hank Arnold on
Look in the event logs. There should be errors generated if, indeed, you
are running out of licenses. You can use Google and http://eventid.net
to help diagnose the cause of errors. You will need the source and event id.

Also, post them here and we can try to help.

You might try to call the MS Clearing House and see if they can help
figure it out. You could ask them to re-issue the licenses and try
reinstalling them on the license server.

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold

From: jonte on
EventID 1028
Source: TermService

But why do I only see 15 clients in the TS License Manager when we have 18
and 0 available ? Why does the Windows CE client don't get a temporary
license like the XP client ?

Sincerely

\\Jonas B

From: Silvia Doomra [MSFT] on
For Windows Server 2008 license server, there is a concept call Manual
Revokation of licenses - according to which you can revoke 20% of your
issued licenses. For more details, please read through the post:
http://blogs.msdn.com/rds/archive/2008/02/15/manual-revocation-of-client-access-licenses-cals.aspx

But as your license server is Windows Server 2003, then one option you have
is upgrading your license server. If you don't want to go for that then one
thing you can do is:
- Check the machine names to which the licenses are issued by the license
manager wizard - as you only have 15 devices connecting ; tracking will not
be difficult. Identify the devices that are assigned the licenses and are
not being used. If the machines which used these licenses once are now
deprecated then your licenses will get back to the available pool after
their expiry date.
And if they have already expired and still not back to the available pool
then try restarting termservice.
After 5-10 minutes of that the expired licenses will be available in the
available pool.

Hope that helps!
Thanks
Silvia
Remote Desktop Services Team Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/rds

From: jonte on
Sorry for the late delay, I have been sick for a couple of days.

Since it was a w2k3 service pack 1 I have now upgraded to w2k3 service pack
2 but still the license server won't give back any licenses. Several
machines have now expired date but it doesn't help. Since I applied w2k3 sp2
I have restaretd Terminal Services service without any help and I have been
waiting for at least 10 minutes after the latest reboot.

I phoned Microsofts licensing department and together we reactivated our 18
per device CALs, and now it works again

Thank's for the help

Sincerely

\\Jonas B