From: David Mark on
On Jul 23, 11:24 pm, Alan Gutierrez <a...(a)blogometer.com> wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
> >> Adding a smiley doesn't change the fact that you have just insulted me..
> >> You have called me a creep. That is offensive and I take offense.

> >> In v instanceof f  (v must be an object and f a function object)
> >> it tests whether the head of the prototype chain *currently* in
> >> f.prototype is in the prototype chain of v.
>
> > That was demonstrated by my earlier post.
>
> You don't see how your definition differs from the correct definition?
>
> >> That's my take. We're going to have to agree to disagree.
>
> > Agreed!
>
> I'm content with this outcome. I'm heartened by the exchange with two
> other posters.

You still don't get it. The *other* posters restated part of what I
had stated in my original answer (way back when). You know, the bit
you were so pleased with about the binding between the constructor's
prototype property and the constructed object (and the subsequent
examples demonstrating the fleeting nature of this binding and how the
instanceof operator could be fooled). Yeah, those. In other words,
you wasted a ton of time (including some of mine) for no reason, other
than perhaps laziness. Apology accepted. :)
From: Kenneth Tilton on
David Mark wrote:
> On Jul 23, 4:12 pm, Alan Gutierrez <a...(a)blogometer.com> wrote:
>> John G Harris wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> If the object's constructor has had its prototype property changed and
>>> the object is tested with a no longer suitable function object then
>>> that's the programmer's problem.
>> Thank you. Learn something new every day.
>>

> You could have saved yourself a lot of time by carefully reading my
> examples and thinking about what I was trying to illustrate with them.

Sounds like you are a terrible communicator if all that is necessary. A
good communicator meets their audience half-way.

kt

--
http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
"The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself."
From: David Mark on
On Jul 24, 1:07 am, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
> > On Jul 23, 4:12 pm, Alan Gutierrez <a...(a)blogometer.com> wrote:
> >> John G Harris wrote:
>
> > [...]
> >> Thank you. Learn something new every day.
>
> > You could have saved yourself a lot of time by carefully reading my
> > examples and thinking about what I was trying to illustrate with them.
>
> Sounds like you are a terrible communicator if all that is necessary. A
> good communicator meets their audience half-way.

In other words, you didn't read the preceding posts either.
From: Garrett Smith on
On 2010-07-23 08:18 PM, David Mark wrote:
> On Jul 23, 11:07 pm, Garrett Smith<dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> [snip informative explanation]
>>

>>> Thank you. Learn something new every day.
>>
>> Example:
>>
>> function Person(){}
>> Person.prototype = {};
>> var a = new Person;
>
> Use the call operator. Thanks.

There isn't a call operator in ECMAScript.
--
Garrett
From: David Mark on
On Jul 24, 1:52 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-07-23 08:18 PM, David Mark wrote:

> >> [snip informative explanation]

> >> Example:
>
> >>     function Person(){}
> >>     Person.prototype = {};
> >>     var a = new Person;
>
> > Use the call operator.  Thanks.
>
> There isn't a call operator in ECMAScript.

Oh brother. And, in your world, what do you call it?
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: CreateTextFile
Next: Precise printing from Javascript?