From: Albert Ross on
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:03:31 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little"
<lws4art(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Have always used my real email on UseNet. Had the same email for over a
>decade until an ISP change last year.

I used to (I used different usernames in different groups so I could
tell where the spams were coming from)

The spammers showed some glimmer of intelligence in preferring groups
with a high volume of posts. Then they demonstrated none by happily
spamming "postmaster@ and similar addresses.

However I also collected a stalker, and also several friends got
virused, the result being I was not only receiving spams but bounces
for spams I never sent. I even had spam apparently from myself (which
had never been anywhere near my system)

Now I'm a bit more careful who gets live addresses but even this fails
when someone has their address book harvested or keeps an address book
on Yahoo etc. Also addresses have "escaped" when suppliers' and
manufacturers' servers were hacked.

>Do not get more than the usual
>spam since I have disabled spam filters at the server. I prefer to
>filter with my mail client.

Yes, my system worked by downloading headers (top-N lines) sorting by
username and only looking for genuine emails within genuine usernames,
then blowing the rest off the server undownloaded. Much faster than
all this automation, tuning and retuning filters etc.

>Now that said, I have always used a decent (not OE) mail client and
>decent updated anti-virus. Also was not fooled to *ever* open such a
>bogus attachment.

Well you just DON'T, do you?
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: no more 100% height DIVs when nested
Next: Going Live