From: Mason C on
Sometimes a line of text wraps to fit the box its in.
Sometimes a line of text refuses to wrap and sets the box width.

How can a line be made to give up its control of the width?
(which is desirable for width liquidity)

MasonC
From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2010-04-17, Mason C wrote:
> Some years ago I got a virus from such a
> collector -- I've forgotten its name but it was a major internet problem.

No, it was a Windows problem.

> I don't know about today but in those days (before Google), when Usenet
> was more important, it was very unwise to expose a valid address on Usenet.

I have always used a valid address. The only problem was the
amount of spam. That's why I now use a throw-away address. It's
valid, and I do check it, but gmail has a good spam filter.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author:
From: invalidmasonc on
On 17 Apr 2010 03:40:38 GMT, "Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On 2010-04-17, Mason C wrote:
>..
>> Some years ago I got a virus from such a
>> collector -- I've forgotten its name but it was a major internet problem.
>
> No, it was a Windows problem.
>
>> I don't know about today but in those days (before Google), when Usenet
>> was more important, it was very unwise to expose a valid address on Usenet.
>
> I have always used a valid address. The only problem was the
> amount of spam. That's why I now use a throw-away address. It's
> valid, and I do check it, but gmail has a good spam filter.

It was the "swen" virus ("news") and here's a reference to it:

http://www.rlmueller.net/SwenVirus.htm

"Are you (like me) bombarded by E-mail messages infected with the Swen virus? Perhaps you were foolish enough (like me) to use your real E-mail address in Newsgroup discussions. Now infected computers
all over the world are sending you bogus messages day and night."

Google "swen virus" for others.

Mason C
From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2010-04-17, invalidmasonc(a)invalid.invalid wrote:
> On 17 Apr 2010 03:40:38 GMT, "Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2010-04-17, Mason C wrote:
>>..
>>> Some years ago I got a virus from such a
>>> collector -- I've forgotten its name but it was a major internet problem.
>>
>> No, it was a Windows problem.
>>
>>> I don't know about today but in those days (before Google), when Usenet
>>> was more important, it was very unwise to expose a valid address on Usenet.
>>
>> I have always used a valid address. The only problem was the
>> amount of spam. That's why I now use a throw-away address. It's
>> valid, and I do check it, but gmail has a good spam filter.
>
> It was the "swen" virus ("news") and here's a reference to it:
>
> http://www.rlmueller.net/SwenVirus.htm
>
> "Are you (like me) bombarded by E-mail messages infected with the Swen virus? Perhaps you were foolish enough (like me) to use your real E-mail address in Newsgroup discussions. Now infected computers
> all over the world are sending you bogus messages day and night."
>
> Google "swen virus" for others.

Ah, yes! September 2003. I was bombarded for a few hours. I
couldn't find a filter that would delete it at my ISP, so I wrote
a shell script to download my mail, deleting swen messages at the
ISP. (That script appeared in my first book.)

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author:
From: Jonathan N. Little on
invalidmasonc(a)invalid.invalid wrote:
> On 17 Apr 2010 03:40:38 GMT, "Chris F.A. Johnson"<cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-04-17, Mason C wrote:
>> ..
>>> Some years ago I got a virus from such a
>>> collector -- I've forgotten its name but it was a major internet problem.
>>
>> No, it was a Windows problem.
>>
>>> I don't know about today but in those days (before Google), when Usenet
>>> was more important, it was very unwise to expose a valid address on Usenet.
>>
>> I have always used a valid address. The only problem was the
>> amount of spam. That's why I now use a throw-away address. It's
>> valid, and I do check it, but gmail has a good spam filter.
>
> It was the "swen" virus ("news") and here's a reference to it:
>
> http://www.rlmueller.net/SwenVirus.htm
>
> "Are you (like me) bombarded by E-mail messages infected with the Swen virus? Perhaps you were foolish enough (like me) to use your real E-mail address in Newsgroup discussions. Now infected computers
> all over the world are sending you bogus messages day and night."
>
> Google "swen virus" for others.

Have always used my real email on UseNet. Had the same email for over a
decade until an ISP change last year. Do not get more than the usual
spam since I have disabled spam filters at the server. I prefer to
filter with my mail client.

Now that said, I have always used a decent (not OE) mail client and
decent updated anti-virus. Also was not fooled to *ever* open such a
bogus attachment.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: no more 100% height DIVs when nested
Next: Going Live