From: dorayme on
In article <3838184.bqXVLH7GnM(a)PointedEars.de>,
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:

> First of all, how did you get the idea that stylesheets would be off-topic
> in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.*stylesheets*? Your change of Subject is
> inappropriate. As is your multi-part posting; the e-sig, if any, belongs
> elsewhere, preferably in the header where users with non-PGP/GPG-able UAs
> would not be bothered.
>
> BootNic wrote:

Since you have been on a forceful campaign lately to irritably
tell everyone what is what, including advice about how to quote
and how to say things, please learn to quote. Quote what you are
responding to first, be it all in a block or just a particular
bit. Here is a url that will give you some more detailed
guidelines:

dorayme
From: BootNic on
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 06:59:22 +0100
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:

> First of all, how did you get the idea that stylesheets would be
> off-topic in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.*stylesheets*?

You are so correct! How did I conclude that the thread was drifting
off to IE 8 compatibility views?

As I am now on bended knee, will you please, please forgive me?

I thank you for pointing out that this is completely on topic,
not only for this newsgroup, but also for this thread.

> Your change of Subject is inappropriate. As is your multi-part
> posting; the e-sig, if any, belongs elsewhere, preferably in the
> header where users with non-PGP/GPG-able UAs would not be
> bothered.

The Media Types "multipart/mixed", "multipart/parallel" and
"multipart/signed" may be used freely in news articles.
However, except where policy or custom so allows, the Media
Type "multipart/alternative" SHOULD NOT be used, on account
of the extra bandwidth consumed and the difficulty of quoting
in followups.

In no way is a mutipart/signed message inappropriate.

Any user may choose to deal with messages as s/he sees fit, as
their chosen UA provides.

> BootNic wrote:

[snip]

>>> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

[snip]

> [...]

[snip]

>> IE8 supports inline-block
>
> Perhaps when not in Compatibility Mode.

Perhaps? IE 8 has a few compatibility modes. IE=EmulateIE8 being
the default mode.

Putting IE 8 in a backwards mode means the page should be
displayed as if it were in IE 7. Depending on the mode selected
would also determine if IE 8 would use <!DOCTYPE> to determine how
to render the content.

It is totally unreasonable to expect IE 8 to render an
inline-block correctly when it is put in a backwards compatible
mode. The best that can be hoped for is to render it as IE 7.

• IE=5

IE5 mode renders content as if it were displayed by IE 7
Quirks mode.

• IE=7

IE7 mode renders content in IE 7 Standards mode, whether
or not the page contains a <!DOCTYPE> directive.

• IE=EmulateIE7

EmulateIE7 mode tells IE to use the <!DOCTYPE> directive to
determine how to render content.

• IE=8

IE8 mode provides the highest support available for
industry standards.

• IE=EmulateIE8

EmulateIE8 mode is similar to EmulateIE7 mode; IE uses the
<!DOCTYPE> directive to determine how to render content;
however, standards mode directives are displayed in
Internet Explorer 8 Standards mode. Quirks mode directives
are displayed in IE5 mode.

By default, IE 8 uses EmulateIE8 mode to display pages
loaded from the Internet Zone.

• IE=edge

Edge mode tells IE to display content in the highest mode
available.

> And IE 8 is so borken that you often need Compatibility Mode to
> get things done in a standards-compliant way that no other UAs
> have a problem with (for example, child elements overlapping
> ancestors' sibling elements with z-index). (I may have been
> testing inline-block with a beta version, or in Compatibility
> Mode.)

Indeed, IE 8 is broken, just to make sure let us run it in a backwards
compatibility mode so IE 8 will render the content as if it were IE 7.

> Microsoft's description of the behavior of inline-block and the
> different standards-compliant outcome in Firefox does not bode well
> for inline-block being properly implemented in IE 8 either:

What is wrong with Firefox? Testing in a beta version? Not testing in
the latest version? Viewing the page in an IE Tab?

> <http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS2.1/20100127/html4/display-005.htm>
> (notice the "author" metadata)

Not the best example for testing. Perhaps even misleading. Font size
may wrap the text in the inline-block to more then one line. Anyone
that does not understand what they are looking for may incorrectly
conclude the test has failed.

> PointedEars

Missing signature delimiter?

--
BootNic Sat Feb 27, 2010 03:37 pm
People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and

⁕ 135 days remaining
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
dorayme wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> First of all, how did you get the idea that stylesheets would be
>> off-topic in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.*stylesheets*? Your change
>> of Subject is inappropriate. As is your multi-part posting; the e-sig,
>> if any, belongs elsewhere, preferably in the header where users with
>> non-PGP/GPG-able UAs would not be bothered.
>>
>> BootNic wrote:
>
> [...] please learn to quote. Quote what you are responding to first, be it
> all in a block or just a particular bit. Here is a url that will give you
> some more detailed guidelines:
>
> <http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html>

Some day you might understand that this part of my posting
referred to something that was not in the message body.

Score adjusted

PointedEars
From: dorayme on
In article <1565931.LQephzt8Nx(a)PointedEars.de>,
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
> > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> >> First of all, how did you get the idea that stylesheets would be
> >> off-topic in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.*stylesheets*? Your change
> >> of Subject is inappropriate. As is your multi-part posting; the e-sig,
> >> if any, belongs elsewhere, preferably in the header where users with
> >> non-PGP/GPG-able UAs would not be bothered.
> >>
> >> BootNic wrote:
> >
> > [...] please learn to quote. Quote what you are responding to first, be it
> > all in a block or just a particular bit. Here is a url that will give you
> > some more detailed guidelines:
> >
> > <http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html>
>
> Some day you might understand that this part of my posting
> referred to something that was not in the message body.
>

> Score adjusted

What is the score? Am I a long way behind or within striking
distance?

What is your argument? Is it that I am so simple minded that I
saw you launching into a speech at the beginning of a post in the
middle of a thread as criterial of improper top posting?

In this speech, let me remind you, you used the word "you" and I
for one had no idea who you were replying to. Yes, I could have
bothered to work it out. But I should not have to. You should
have made some effort to find the thing you were responding to or
type something indicating what it was.

I don't know how you are scoring this thing, but along with your
patronising remarks to me (I always bring a bloke back to zero
for this at the point he makes his remark, anything sensible
afterwards can build points again), I reckon you are certainly
not in front.

Please don't go away, I like a few awkward bastards on the group.

--
dorayme
From: GTalbot on
On 27 fév, 00:59, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
wrote:

[...snipped...]

> And IE 8 is so borken that you
> often need Compatibility Mode to get things done in a standards-compliant
> way that no other UAs have a problem with (for example, child elements
> overlapping ancestors' sibling elements with z-index).

Can you elaborate on your example? Or even better, could you provide a
reduced testcase demonstrating this "child elements overlapping
ancestors' sibling elements with z-index" issue? Web authors can
contribute their own testcases to the CSS 2.1 test suite:

[...snipped...]

> Microsoft's description of the behavior of inline-block and the different
> standards-compliant outcome in Firefox does not bode well for inline-block
> being properly implemented in IE 8 either:
>
> <http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS2.1/20100127/html4/display-005.htm>

That testcase seems like a bad testcase
- test assertion is definitely autological, self-referring ("x" should
behave in layout as an "x")
- the testcase assumes that "Filler Text Filler Text" when use with
any font with a font-size of 16px will all fit inside a width of
150px... and this is where the testcase is wrong.

The CSS 2.1 test suite (20100127 snapshot) is an alpha 1 staus. There
is a lot of reviewing, scrutinizing and approving to do on all the
testcases before we can start to safely (blindly?) rely on the whole
test suite.

Gérard
--
Internet Explorer 8 bugs: 60 bugs so far
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/