From: John on
Paul wrote:

> John wrote:
>
> > -snipped-
> >

> 650W is more than enough. 500W would probably do it. It all
> ---edited---
>
> If you buy the 890GX based motherboard, you can certainly install
> the OS, the games, and test. If the integrated graphics satisfy
> your gaming needs, you don't need to buy any hardware, like the
> separate video card. So I suppose that is a benefit of the
> 890GX versus a motherboard without integrated graphics. You
> can do an incremental upgrade as you see fit.
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

Just thought I'd let you know that I decided to get this for my build:
AMD Athlon II X3 440
Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 (uses the 890GX chipset)
Corsair XMS3 4Gb (2x2Gb) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Antec Three Hundred Illusion case
Antec BP550 PSU
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD burner

After price shopping, it seemed like NewEgg had best prices today,
certainly a bunch of specials that dropped my cost about $30 excluding
rebates. I'll see how the on-board graphics chip handles DAO before
committing to a video card. I tried several of the on-line power
calculators and got pretty big variances between them, anywhere between
350W and 480W. The PSU at NewEgg was being offered with a promotional
discount, so that seemed like a good choice on the theory that having
an underused PSU is better than one which the system strains.

Thanks for your help.

John
From: Paul on
John wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>
>> John wrote:
>>
>>> -snipped-
>>>
>> 650W is more than enough. 500W would probably do it. It all
>> ---edited---
>>
>> If you buy the 890GX based motherboard, you can certainly install
>> the OS, the games, and test. If the integrated graphics satisfy
>> your gaming needs, you don't need to buy any hardware, like the
>> separate video card. So I suppose that is a benefit of the
>> 890GX versus a motherboard without integrated graphics. You
>> can do an incremental upgrade as you see fit.
>>
>> Paul
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> Just thought I'd let you know that I decided to get this for my build:
> AMD Athlon II X3 440
> Cooler Master Hyper TX3
> Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 (uses the 890GX chipset)
> Corsair XMS3 4Gb (2x2Gb) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
> Antec Three Hundred Illusion case
> Antec BP550 PSU
> Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD burner
>
> After price shopping, it seemed like NewEgg had best prices today,
> certainly a bunch of specials that dropped my cost about $30 excluding
> rebates. I'll see how the on-board graphics chip handles DAO before
> committing to a video card. I tried several of the on-line power
> calculators and got pretty big variances between them, anywhere between
> 350W and 480W. The PSU at NewEgg was being offered with a promotional
> discount, so that seemed like a good choice on the theory that having
> an underused PSU is better than one which the system strains.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> John

The post at the bottom of this page, suggests the BP550 is actually
made by Delta. Antec contracts them out.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3774

Enjoy your new system.

Paul