From: Bruce Horrocks on
You have probably seen
<http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/07/02appleletter.html> by now, in
which Apple claim to be 'stunned to find that the formula we use to
calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong'.

Perhaps Apple should have worked a little harder on the algorithm *2
years ago* when they changed it to show more bars for a given signal
strength.
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10115756-233.html>

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey
From: smurf on
Bruce Horrocks wrote:
> You have probably seen
> <http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/07/02appleletter.html> by now,
> in which Apple claim to be 'stunned to find that the formula we use to
> calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally
> wrong'.
> Perhaps Apple should have worked a little harder on the algorithm *2
> years ago* when they changed it to show more bars for a given signal
> strength.
> http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10115756-233.html

I suppose the alogrithm is the reason why an incoming call goes to voicemail
when held in the hand, but rings perfectly fine on a table.

From: Jochem Huhmann on
"smurf" <smurf(a)smurf.com> writes:

> Bruce Horrocks wrote:
>> You have probably seen
>> <http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/07/02appleletter.html> by now,
>> in which Apple claim to be 'stunned to find that the formula we use to
>> calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally
>> wrong'.
>> Perhaps Apple should have worked a little harder on the algorithm *2
>> years ago* when they changed it to show more bars for a given signal
>> strength.
>> http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10115756-233.html
>
> I suppose the alogrithm is the reason why an incoming call goes to voicemail
> when held in the hand, but rings perfectly fine on a table.

No, the real reason will be that in this case the signal is so weak
(despite the iPhone showing five bars when laying on the table) that the
signal drop by holding it will cut the signal altogether. If the
algorithm were right it would display only 1 bar when laying on the
table and you would know that anything making it even worse may lead to
the connection to go away.

I think Apple being surprised at this is nonsense (they put it in in
2008) but having this fixed is still the right way to go.

And: If they had changed that right away the iPhone 4 would have shown
many fewer bars than a 3GS in the same place. Imagine the commotion
ensuing then!

Jochem

--
"A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away."
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Jochem Huhmann <joh(a)gmx.net> wrote:

[snip]

> No, the real reason will be that in this case the signal is so weak
> (despite the iPhone showing five bars when laying on the table) that the
> signal drop by holding it will cut the signal altogether. If the
> algorithm were right it would display only 1 bar when laying on the
> table and you would know that anything making it even worse may lead to
> the connection to go away.
>
> I think Apple being surprised at this is nonsense (they put it in in
> 2008) but having this fixed is still the right way to go.

[snip]

Apple is made up of bits.

It might well be that the people who made the decision to lie about
signal strength on the indicator were *that* group, and *this* group
didn't know a thing about it, but were the people who just slapped the
code in the new beastie regardless, without thinking about it, *THEN*
got a horrible shock.

But... but The Steve is in charge of all of it, and micro-manages
everything. Doesn't he?

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: smurf on
Jochem Huhmann wrote:
> "smurf" <smurf(a)smurf.com> writes:
>
>> Bruce Horrocks wrote:
>>> You have probably seen
>>> <http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/07/02appleletter.html> by now,
>>> in which Apple claim to be 'stunned to find that the formula we use
>>> to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally
>>> wrong'.
>>> Perhaps Apple should have worked a little harder on the algorithm *2
>>> years ago* when they changed it to show more bars for a given signal
>>> strength.
>>> http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10115756-233.html
>>
>> I suppose the alogrithm is the reason why an incoming call goes to
>> voicemail when held in the hand, but rings perfectly fine on a table.
>
> No, the real reason will be that in this case the signal is so weak
> (despite the iPhone showing five bars when laying on the table) that
> the signal drop by holding it will cut the signal altogether. If the
> algorithm were right it would display only 1 bar when laying on the
> table and you would know that anything making it even worse may lead
> to the connection to go away.

Wow, that also must mean that the 3g data connection, while fast when on
table, goes dead in hand. The signal is full, i was sitting next to a window
and have a transmitter within 3/4 mile, with a clear line of site.

> I think Apple being surprised at this is nonsense (they put it in in
> 2008) but having this fixed is still the right way to go.

You think all these people experiencing these problems are stupid? The
Iphone 4 (or at least a batch of them) has a massive design flaw, a shame as
well, as the rest of it is amazing. The phone is next to me now, in its box,
awaiting a return bag from Orange.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: Dummy mail accounts.