From: David on
When programming (in VB or any other language), the BIG picture of how
things fits together with the OS tends to get lost.

The capabilities of what the OS can do (e.g. Scan, Fax, Remote, TAPI, MAPI,
etc. etc) has significantly increased -- and you can write VB to use most
of it -- but understanding what are all the OS capabilities, and those
parts fit together or interrelate is /has become a major concern.

Anyone know of a block diagram or book which puts/lists all the OS
capabilites and either or list or explanation of what is done under each?

From: Patrice on
Hello,

I always tend to go to the source. Have you tried
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee663300(VS.85).aspx ? It's not as
sophisticated but IMO quite effective (and the more you'll browse there for
APIs, the more you'll notice and remember those in which you could be
interested)...

--
Patrice

"David" <NoWhere(a)earthlink.net> a �crit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : uYV2sldnKHA.1548(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

From: Nobody on
"David" <NoWhere(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> When programming (in VB or any other language), the BIG picture of how
> things fits together with the OS tends to get lost.
>
> The capabilities of what the OS can do (e.g. Scan, Fax, Remote, TAPI,
> MAPI, etc. etc) has significantly increased -- and you can write VB to use
> most of it -- but understanding what are all the OS capabilities, and
> those parts fit together or interrelate is /has become a major concern.
>
> Anyone know of a block diagram or book which puts/lists all the OS
> capabilites and either or list or explanation of what is done under each?

Try MSDN and Wikipedia.

I tend to divide such features by the OS it starts to appear in. VB6 is 32
Bits, and everything that came with it uses features that only exists in
Windows 95. If you use features that only appeared in later OS's, you need
to document the minimum OS required to use your App or document in the
source the minimum OS to use a certain source file or library. Imagine using
something introduced in Vista, then later you find the need to use it in XP
or 2003 Server. In this case, you have to find another workaround.

From: David on
Thanks for response Nobody .

Was hoping something was available in the format I feel most comfortable
using. That aside, rather than trying to dig through
MSDN (will look into Wikipedia) any place you know of that has a list of
"BIG PICTURE" capabilites. Having the designated OS would be even better.

From: Nobody on
> Thanks for response Nobody .
>
> Was hoping something was available in the format I feel most comfortable
> using. That aside, rather than trying to dig through
> MSDN (will look into Wikipedia) any place you know of that has a list of
> "BIG PICTURE" capabilites.

I don't think you will find exactly what you are looking for, but here some
important areas in MSDN Library Oct 2001:

* Platform SDK Documentation-->Base Services. This is a must to look at for
some API functionality. Many beginners miss this because of the simple name.
The online version of MSDN Library changed the name to "System Services",
which is a better name. This can be found at MSDN Library-->Win32 and COM
Development-->System Services.

* Platform SDK Documentation-->User Interface Services-->Windows Common
Controls: Explains the common controls, such as ListView. You can find
messages here that are not exposed by VB controls.

* Platform SDK Documentation-->User Interface Services-->Windows User
Interface-->Controls: Explains the basic controls, such as text boxes. You
can find messages here that are not exposed by VB controls.

* Platform SDK Documentation-->User Interface Services-->Windows User
Interface-->Windowing: Explains how Windows manages windows, Z-Order, etc.

* Platform SDK Documentation-->Data Services. Explains ADO/XML.

* Platform SDK Documentation-->.NET Enterprise Servers-->Microsoft SQL
Server 2000-->Transact-SQL Reference: MS SQL Server Reference.

I couldn't find Access SQL reference in the 2001 edition of MSDN Library,
but here is the online version, but it's for Access 2007:

Microsoft Access SQL Reference:

> Having the designated OS would be even better.

Online MSDN started removing traces of Windows 9x. In many areas, they have
already replaced "Windows 95/98/Me: Included in Windows 95 and later." with
"Minimum supported client: Windows 2000", so you need an old copy of MSDN to
see when a function first appeared. I haven't seen a place online that
clearly documents when a function first appeared.