From: Martin Brown on
RustY � wrote:
> "James Egan" <jegan473(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I cannot frigging believe that the Canon SX1 IS I just purchased does not
>> have the ability to imprint a date stamp on photos!
>
> Why did you not check this before you bought it ?

Given that all image files have a time date stamp and tools exist to
mutilate images with a timedate derived from the Exif file data I don't
see what the problem is. I would never degrade any of my images by
letting the camera add a time date stamp in the image field of view
since it would inevitably land on top of something interesting.

Regards,
Martin Brown
From: Martin Brown on
James Egan wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:48:03 -0800, Scott W wrote:
>

> The date stamp is an imperative for me. As for software which can add
> it, I don't want the additional hassle. The first thing I want to know
> when I look at most photos, especially of family members, is WHEN it was
> taken.

You do realise that on a PC when you hover the cursor over a file it
will tell you the date time and size of the file. You seem to have a
weird fixation on having the time-date displayed in the image.

Why mutilate potentially good images with a poxy time/date display?

Regards,
Martin Brown
From: RustY � on

"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

>> Why did you not check this before you bought it ?
>
> Given that all image files have a time date stamp and tools exist to
> mutilate images with a timedate derived from the Exif file data I don't
> see what the problem is. I would never degrade any of my images by letting
> the camera add a time date stamp in the image field of view since it would
> inevitably land on top of something interesting.

*I understand that but if the OP needed that feature he should have looked
for it in potential purchases.

From: NameHere on
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 07:14:03 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid>
wrote:

>> The date stamp is an imperative for me. As for software which can add
>> it, I don't want the additional hassle. The first thing I want to know
>> when I look at most photos, especially of family members, is WHEN it was
>> taken.
>
>Use a program such as PIE to view the file - it will put the file date and
>time in the corner of the image if you press F1 (F1 IIRC).
>
> http://www.picmeta.com/products/picture-information-extractor.htm
>
>Cheers,
>David

Also capable in many editors. Photoline for one (an exceptional editor that
is better than Photoshop in multitudes of ways). There is also a nice
utility from Mediachance, called DCE Auto-Enhance, that does this for you
with many adjustable parameters, printing anything you want from the EXIF
info (as does Photoline), in any level of transparency, fonts, and colors
of your choice.

Any advanced camera today (as is the SX1) leaves this as a 3rd-party
option. Few want their images permanently ruined with a date-stamp applied
to the originals. That feature was only available for low-end snapshooter's
cameras in the distant past.