From: nick on
On May 8, 8:26 pm, "Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfajohn...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-05-07, nick wrote:
>
> > Argh! "Its" ... "its" ... "its."
>
> > It's a declension. Not possessive, not a contraction. Like "his" or
> > "her," it needs no apostrophe.
>
>     Until around the beginning of the 19th century, "it's" was
>     the usual form.

In American English? Are you sure? Google news archive search seems to
disagree.

This link will probably break, sorry about that.

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?as_q=its+OR+it's&as_user_ldate=1800&as_user_hdate=1825
From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2010-05-09, nick wrote:
> On May 8, 8:26?pm, "Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfajohn...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2010-05-07, nick wrote:
>>
>> > Argh! "Its" ... "its" ... "its."
>>
>> > It's a declension. Not possessive, not a contraction. Like "his" or
>> > "her," it needs no apostrophe.
>>
>> ? ? Until around the beginning of the 19th century, "it's" was
>> ? ? the usual form.
>
> In American English? Are you sure? Google news archive search seems to
> disagree.

According to the OED.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson, <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author:
From: David Mark on
Garrett Smith wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>> David Mark wrote:
>

>> Like it or not, these things are industry standard. jQuery and
>> Mootools, in particular, seem to elicit a devotion that is part of the
>> social.
>
> s/social/meme

Doesn't really matter. Fads come and go. If I had to interview for
such a position, I could just point them to My Library. It does
everything the others do and more (with considerably more style). The
OO interface isn't that far off from the others (except that the
metaphors actually make sense). What's to argue? Are the others
somehow better because they required a million monkey effort spanning
several years? Do support clients really want to be ignored (roughly)
25% of the time and misled most of the rest?

If they really need proof, it's no further away than my SlickSpeed test,
which clearly demonstrates the futility of those "major" projects (and
CSS selector queries in general). Then there are the TaskSpeed results,
which demonstrate that the others are not only scatter-shot, but often
slow about it. And nobody sane could look at my Examples page and
conclude that they'd be better off using a jQuery or Mootools mish-mash.

I refuse to believe that everyone involved with this stuff is
irretrievably dense.
From: David Mark on
Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> On 2010-05-09, nick wrote:

>>> ? ? Until around the beginning of the 19th century, "it's" was
>>> ? ? the usual form.
>> In American English? Are you sure? Google news archive search seems to
>> disagree.
>
> According to the OED.

Regardless, it is best not to set the language back centuries. Whatever
people once wrote like that are long dead.
From: David Mark on
Garrett Smith wrote:

[...]

> How about a forward loop using splice?
>
> function removeThrees(a) {
> for(var i = 0; i < a.length; i++) {
> if(a[i] === 3) {
> a.splice(i,1);
> }
> }
> return a;
> }

I just don't care to evaluate the length property each time through (or
to splice one member at a time), even in an example. And though
slightly longer, I consider mine to be easier to understand at a glance.
YMMV.

The strict comparison is a good idea in this case though.